Gifted and Talented

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Josa

Gifted and Talented

Post by Josa »

I need your advice please - my son is 8 and in yr 3. He's always been top of his class since reception and this has been recognised by all the teachers that have taught him - he got level 3s in all subjects when he took the yr 2 sats, although I personally thought he could have achieved a level 4 in maths ( I read somewhere that some kids could be considered for this level if they've excelled very well on level 3) if he had been given the opportunity. He also does Kumon maths so he is abosolutely brilliant in mental maths and can recite his timetables to 13 and he is currently on level d in Kumon ( long division and fractions) these topics will not be taught until he gets to yr5.He often gets more challenging work (after several push from me) than the other kids in his class and he happened to mention to me the other day that the teacher's assistant told him the numeracy book his class was working on was too easy for him and she challenged him with more harder sums which he got right. He has also often been asked by his teacher to help his peers in the lower group with their work. I recently approached his teacher and told her that I think my son should be placed on the gifted and talented register for maths. She said she will need to discuss this with the school's g&t coordinator as she is new and will get back to me. I didn't hear back from her for over a week so I approached her last week for an update. She said she had spoken to the coordinator and came to the conclusion that eventhough my son is brilliant and top of the class in all subjects particularly in maths they feel he still needs a bit of help in problem solving and they've decided to watch him for a few months and then maybe consider him then. I totally disagree with them as I get my son to work through revision books etc and i find it amazing the knowlwdge he has in problem solving. My son also goes to a private tutor as I felt he wasn't been challenged enough at school and during his initial assessment by the tutor his educational attainment results were: maths - 12yrs 6mths, spelling - 13yrs ( he gets his own spelling from his teacher as he is a brilliant speller), reading - 12yrs and english - 10yrs 8mths, he was also predicted a level 4c during the assessment. The tutor has no doubt that he is a grammar school student and has even suggested schorlaship for independent school nearer to the time. I have finally been given an appointment to see the coordinator and his teacher next Thursday and wanted some advice on what to expect at the meeting and also wanted to find out if I should take his private tutor's assessment report and the work he does with her (much challenging) to the meeting. All comments/suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Sorry to have rambled on a bit.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

By 'problem solving' she may mean the 'using and applying' strand which is NOT the same as solving problems.

Look at

http://www.m-a.org.uk/education/primary ... challenge/

Can your child do these?

Knowing more maths is not the same as being 'gifted and talented' - it's the ability to be creative and use novel approaches in unfamiliar contexts.

I would not take the tutor's report -

Why do you feel it is important that he is on this register?
Sam's Mum

Post by Sam's Mum »

Hi Josa

Just wondered in what way you think your son will benefit from being placed on the G&T register?
Sam's Mum

Post by Sam's Mum »

Guest 55

Beat me to it!
Lulu

Post by Lulu »

I too was trying to ask that question as politely as possible!

Lulu
Josa

Gifted and Talented

Post by Josa »

Hi Guest 55 and Sam's mum - Thanks for your prompt response. I will have a look at the website. The reason why I want him on the register is solely to get him to do more challenging work at school, at the moment he finds all the work too easy and is always looking forward to his private tuition where he feels more challenged. I also feel the school are not giving him the opportunity to excel in what he is brilliant at.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I don't think this will be solved by putting him on the register!

Differentiated work should be provided - you should discuss this with the teacher.
Bexley Mum 2

Post by Bexley Mum 2 »

Josa - as others have said, being on the register will probably not impact on the type of work your son is given at school. I know this as all my children have all been on the register and, nice as it is to have their abilities recognised, it doesn't make much difference to them. There are occasional activities organised by the LEA for G&T children but these are once in a blue moon.

What you need to do is make sure your son is given differentiated work which suits his ability. My sons' primary school is good at differentiating in maths. They are also able, as a big school (2.5 form entry) to set for maths from year 3 - this makes it even easier for a teacher to differentiate. I would focus your efforts on ensuring that your child is being given challenging work in class and absolutely NOT that he is being used to help less able children. He is entitled to be challenged and stretched during his maths lessons - not used as a classroom assistant.

A word of caution, if you want to get teachers on your side, I'd refrain from singing your son's praises too much. By all means ask for evidence that your son is being challenged at school, but remember, lots of children get straight level 3s at KS1; lots have high reading ages (in clever children they are usually several years higher than their real age). Two of mine were level 4c at maths in year 3 - I would say they are good at maths, but not brilliant. I know there are days when the maths they are given is a doddle, but equally I know there are times when they are working at levels several years higher than the year group they are in.

If you still want to have him put on the G&T register, I thought it wasn't a question of a teacher observing a child, but simply whether he was a certain level about that expected for a child of his age (can never remember if it's a whole level or 2 sub-levels). But maybe this differs from area to area.
magwich

gifted and talented

Post by magwich »

I am afraid that if your experience is anything like ours, nothing much will be solved until you find a school that values clever children - in our case meant getting the cheque book out but you may be luckier. Sorry to be so gloomy but we really did give the state a go with 2 DDs attending a total of 7primaries. The good news is that it really does seem to get better at state grammar school!!
katel

Post by katel »

7 primary schools wouldn't have given them time to settle down at any one of them....!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now