Optional SATS

Key Stages 1-2 and SATs advice

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Road Runner

Optional SATS

Post by Road Runner »

Hello

Can anyone tell me what Optional SATS are. I had assumed they are practise SATS that that our children can take if we want them to. However I have just read my dd's school calender which gives dates for Opt SATS so am I to assume that she will take them anyway. I haven't ahd any letter about them.

My dd is year 5.

Also what are the expectations of these and what influence do they have on teachers predicted levels?

My dd is in a Bucks Primary school

Thanks

Mel
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

They are tests set by QCA on the same format as the SATs, for year 3,4, 5. They are useful to familiarise the children with the format and for assessing their NC levels each year.

Referred to by some schools as optional sats because it is not compulsory for the school to do them. Many schools now refer to them as the QCA tests these days as it created confusion!
Road Runner

Mel x

Post by Road Runner »

Thanks Yo Yo

My dd is new to the school so I wasn't sure. I guess this gives an idea of thier levels to date.

Mel
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

yes it does, as there are marking schemes and standardised scores it makes it easier to moderate
bucks mum1

Post by bucks mum1 »

My son said there are two different papers in maths. In year 5, you either sit a paper 5a or 5b. I think 5a probably gives a sats level 3/4 whereas the 5b paper gives a level 4/5 but I am not sure......
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

http://www.qca.org.uk/eara/175.asp

Some info here - can be useful if you have to appeal - give a NC level at the end of Y5.