IPS test papers Vrs NFER or Tutors

Eleven Plus (11+) in Wirral

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Pete J

IPS test papers Vrs NFER or Tutors

Post by Pete J »

Have been through these papers with my daughter and IPS seem to be far harder than NFER or Tutors. I.e In Vocabulary questions some of the words were difficult for even me.

I think the Tutors papers are excellent but has anyone else noticed this difference in difficulty ?

Also a paper I seen my daughter taking for homework from the tutor which I think was CGM or CGM paper was quick difficult also. Anyone know who they are ??

thanks

pete
wirral_wombat

Post by wirral_wombat »

It's four years since my children did the Wirral 11+, and the Tutors papers weren't available then, but we used NFER, AFN and IPS and the IPS were definitely much more difficult than either NFER or AFN. In fact my son, whose main problem was speed, found it impossible to complete the IPS papers in the required time. He did however pass the 11+ comfortably and is at Wirral Grammar now.
Pete J

Post by Pete J »

Thanks for the reply.

I'd be interested to see if the is a IPS word list available just to compare the words used between IPS and NFER.

I'd say some of the words on IPS were definately 12-13 year age range,

After reading through some older posts I have found others with same problem. My daughter is getting 90% plus on NFER and Tutors but I think she may be in for a shock when she gets the real thing as she struggled on IPS for time.

Anyway nice to see you still post when your son has made it into Wirral Grammar, you must be very happy and proud. Fingers crossed if my daughter passes and get's in the Wirral Grammar I will share my experience and tips for future parents,.. I'm more stressed about this than my own BSC degree exams when I took them... It's out of my hands which is the problem.

Thanks
Pete
Mike Edwards

Post by Mike Edwards »

Hi Peter J

There is a free download NFER wordlist on this site that was collated from the four NFER verbal reasoning familiarization papers by The Tutors. We are not aware of an IPS wordlist that covers all their material, but agree that some of their vocabulary is of a higher level than NFER.

Why do you think your daughter will be in for a shock? IPS do not write the 11+ tests as far as we are aware, NFER do!!

Regards

Mike
Pete J

Post by Pete J »

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the reply. I have taken other tests with her and the Tutors papers and NFER (although Excellent) seem much easier (and finishes with time to check over her work).

Test papers from Other sources are much more difficult. The type 13 and type 12 and Code questions seem to get her (and me).

She struggles to finish or misses quite a few and they seem to be at least 1 to 2 years advanced.

they seem to vary in difficulty from paper type to type.

Hopefully she will be ready in November..

regards
Pete
Mike Edwards

Post by Mike Edwards »

Hi Peter J

With such a range of 11+ verbal reasoning preparation material now on the market. I am sure it is difficult to gauge which are the most relevant or closest to the real thing.

Although I am familiar with NFER and IPS, I am not familiar with all the publications on the market.

The Tutors papers are written to complement the NFER familiarization and practice papers as this, to us, was the most sensible approach to take, particularly when so many parents were coming to the site asking for most relevant material.

Which other publishers have you been using with her, and how do you assess their compatibility with NFER practice material?

Regards

Mike
Bo Peep

Post by Bo Peep »

Interesting....

I just took a look at the IPS NVR downloadable paper and I felt it was much easier than bond or Nfer - so much so that I didn't bother priniting it. Do others find this? I'm concerned that everyone seems to be saying IPS are harder - are they saying this is the case for VR only or for both NV and VR?
wirral_wombat

Post by wirral_wombat »

Bo Peep...this is the Wirral forum and the Wirral 11+ is only VR,so no-one here will know abou the NVR. I think you'd be better off posting this in a different area....
Bo Peep

Post by Bo Peep »

Oh thanks Wirral Wombat - sorry I didn't realise Wirral didn't have NVR - wow...let's all move to Wirral. :lol:

best wishes
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now