Supply of personal data by secondary schools

General forum for Secondary Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
betty1

Supply of personal data by secondary schools

Post by betty1 »

My son is going to start sec school in Sept & the school is asking for the usual personal data. However, on the form it says it will not release this info except to DCSF and Connexions. Is it complusory or necessary to give our permission for this? On the form I have to tick that I consent to this info being shared with Connexions. Why do we have to do this? who are Connexions? and what do they need it for? What happens if I don't consent?
In this age of data being given to so many so called govt/ authority agencies, who then seem to lose it, should I give my consent? Most grateful if other parents can share the reasons for their decision.
:?
Tracy

Post by Tracy »

I signed one of the Connexions forms last year, I think it's to do with careers advice.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

I think we had the opportunity to say we didn't want it sent to connexions - can't remember exactly?

Just filling in the ethnic monitoring form - no box for TRANSYLVANIAN so will have to tick OTHER

Hermanmunster

PS remembered now -we could definitely opt out of connexions having info. I agree that govt can't be trusted with the info so we should try and avoid it going anywhere other than absolutely necessary places
magwich

supply of personal data

Post by magwich »

I would be very careful what you put on these forms: there has been plenty in the press about university admissions and social inclusion including ideas of positive discrimination to ensure a social mix at good universities. You might want to give the impression that you are a very impecunious menial worker living in a hovel in penury!!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now