Lap-top for Crypt

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
AJ11

Lap-top for Crypt

Post by AJ11 »

I was talking to a friend of mine this evening about Crypt (no shock there), and we were discussing the lap-top situation. Does anyone know if these are actually insured by the school as my ds can't even look after a jumper without losing it let alone a £1000 computer (bless him).

I'm sure we will be told at the meeting but was just wondering.

After all those months of worrying it turns out they have many spaces left and children just below the pass mark are being asked if they would be interested in a place (which is fantastic news if you were so close). Don't know why Crypt don't do the same as Pates and Stroud High School and admit the top 112 instead of having a threshold score. From a letter my friend received it sounds like only 90 out of 250 boys actually reached the threshold score. Not sure if this is correct, does seem rather low.
Burneth

Post by Burneth »

Ditto with the DS and the jumper situation...just how many school jumpers have you had to replace this year AJ11??

I was under the impression that the laptops stayed in school as I really don't fancy DS carrying expensive equipment like that to and from school - he would need a replacement every week!

I would also think there would be a big risk of the laptops being stolen if they were allowed to bring them home.

This is all speculation and I would also be interested to know if anyone with knowledge would like to post?
AJ11

Post by AJ11 »

Hi Burneth. Lost count of the jumpers, given up now. I was under the impression they had to take them home to do their homework but does seem mad to carry them backwards and forwards to school, so I've probably got the wrong end of the stick. Would be better if they left them at school in their lockers.
gloucestermum

Post by gloucestermum »

I was under the impression that the laptops came home-judging by the size of the bags some very small boys are carrying when I see them walking along!!!
I think Crypt are in an unfortunate position whern it comes to the so called top 112-lots of boys who pass and would come in the top 112 also request scores for Pates and Tommies so it is pointless Crypt having that list.I know of at least 5 boys who all passed for Crypt and Tommies and 2 for Pates-and only 2 are going to Crypt!!

GM
gloucestermum

Post by gloucestermum »

Received letter today(but no pack!)-Crypt laptop open evening 14th May 7pm for parents and kids!!

GM
Burneth

Post by Burneth »

Received my letter too!

I think we will be in for a "heavy" selling evening!
[img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;51;459/st/20080902/e/DS%27s+1st+day+at+senior/k/f5bf/event.png[/img]

PS I am Burneth and I am a lady....!
gloucestermum

Post by gloucestermum »

So what did everybody think about the meeting tonight?
I was pleasantly surprised that the cost had reduced from the £30 in the leaflet in the prospectus to £20-think I have found the link on the HP site but don't want to post in case I have to moderate myself :wink:
Cost on website is £388 ex vat.
Think I shall stretch to the £20....

GM
AJ11

Post by AJ11 »

Sounded ok to me. Good scheme going which definately keeps the cost down. Was expecting more than £20 a month too so pleasantly surprised. I assumed it had to be paid for over the first year but over three is not too bad.

Did go on a bit there at the end must admit. lol Didn't think the questions would ever end (some of them were quite amusing).
gloucestermum

Post by gloucestermum »

I agree AJ11,some of those questions did make me think had they been listening to anything that he had been saying?
Will look forward to the pack,including the direct debit form :lol:

GM
Burneth

Post by Burneth »

I was pleased they have managed to drop the price - £30 per month was scaring me somewhat!

I have to admit, however, that I was concerned by the comment that if you didn't participate in the scheme then your child would be at a disadvantage in lessons. I really cannot see any teacher allowing that to happen and I would hope that my DS would offer to share with a child without a laptop - to have attitude that it was "tough" (which is what that chap said last night) was very poor in my opinion. It is not the child's fault if the parent chooses not to participate in the scheme and certainly their lessons shouldn't suffer as a result.

I was also disappointed that they were choosing to go with Windows XP - which in three year's time will be almost obsolete...whatever they say to the contrary. I understand that Vista may not be "stable" at the moment but Microsoft are working on it and by September, well, who knows? My DS expressed his disappointment at this too and also that there wouldn't be a CD/DVD Rom - so it cannot even be used in the home for that purpose.

Anyway, on the whole I did think it sounded like a good scheme and will be going ahead with it also.

B

PS would you mind sending me the link via PM Gloucestermum? - I didn't make a note of the model number last night!
[img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;51;459/st/20080902/e/DS%27s+1st+day+at+senior/k/f5bf/event.png[/img]

PS I am Burneth and I am a lady....!