undue pressure

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
mums the word

undue pressure

Post by mums the word »

I have a daughter who is in year 7, at a high achiving girls comp (I know Im lucky). but I feel she has been put under too much pressure, she is a bright girl who achived high level 5,s in her y6 sats and has been predicated level 7s, after her tests in this school, and is in the top set for maths and gifted and talented for English, and her report said she is on target to reach those in all of the main subjects, but the head of year 7 took her too one side and asked her if her mum read the report and realized that she wasnt on target for that level in Art, PE, Music, and Tech :roll: and that she needs to push her self in these subjects more.
I feel that those subjects you are either gifted or not, she does enjoy Music and Pe but dosent shine at them and the thery side of tech and art she enjoys but she just takes after me and cant draw.
My daughter who is fairly laid back has got in a bit of a stress about this, a stressful night was had after art homework last night. I dont put any pressure on her at all but she seems to be getting quite stressed at the moment. does any one have any advice how I should tackle this issue.
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

I am really shocked about this and totally agree that in these areas you either have latent talent or limited talent, and if you're good at art it doesn't mean you will be good at music. What is this teachers problem? I think girls have huge amounts of pressure nowadays to be clever, beautiful, artistic, sporty and these comments do not help. Just encourage her to succeed in her core subjects and to enjoy the arts and sports and that regardless of what the teacher says they are not important if she does not enjoy or excell in them.
laid back son worried mum

Post by laid back son worried mum »

Hi,
This is more common than I thought!

My DS is one of 3 in a class of 30 who can draw reasonably (according to teacher)and yet I know from the many drafts littered around that he is not a natural.

I think the 'formality' of the core subjects, English, Maths and Science in primary school makes it the norm for children to strive to do we11 for them, especially in Yr 5 and 6, with the SATS.

Music, PE, Art and Design/Tech, even ICT, R.E, History and Geography tend to be taught in a more relaxed and entertaining way. Although these subjects are assessed and levels reported in the end of year 6 report, I think genera11y, teachers and children tend to take a laid back approach to them.

The stress in Yr 7 is due to the sudden emphasis to grade these subjects more stringently from a secondary school point of view.

The artistic ski11s, musical genius,creative masterpieces and physical exce11ence appear to be sorely lacking when the grades are average or either side of average.

I would te11 your daughter not to worry too much as everyone can't be good at everything. The important thing is to put in 100% effort when she is learning.

And it is learning; my son has, over the last few months, been taught how to play proper rugby, perform gymnastic sequences, position oneself on the starting blocks for athletics, draw/sketch from various perspectives, use water-colour techniques, apply different IT software and programmes, carry out 'proper' Science experiments,handle a drilling machine, use very sharp tools...the list is endless.

My DS's school has an open door policy where if you have a problem with any of the subjects, you can go see the teacher in charge at lunch time and they will help you understand it.

I can te11 you so many stories of circuit wires being accidently cut, important pieces of woodwork missing or broken, soldering wire soldered to the workbench,broken test-tubes, dri11s embedded in worktop, numerous failed attempts to draw a near perfect circle freehand,paint disasters..

If the school teaches well, exce11ent!

But if they expect Level 7s in a11 subjects (at Yr9?)that might be unrealistic.

Perhaps the Head of Year was just trying to encourage her to set her targets higher knowing she has the capabilities. Also the time when they might just be trying to instil good work ethics before the more 'turbulent' teenage years.

I do agree that with some subjects you can only do very we11 if you have a natural aptitude for it.Or you can do fairly we11 if you keep plugging away at it, getting a good grade but not necessarily have enjoyed it as much as something you like learning or in which you have a keen interest .

If your daughter has tried and tries her utmost, that's a11 that is asked of her. She has to get used to every piece of work being scrutinised and graded but she has to know that if she has been diligent in her efforts (and you know that she has) then it is OK.

(P.S. T.i.p.s.y.
I am not fo11owing you, I was typing out my post when you posted. :lol: )
Charlotte67

Post by Charlotte67 »

Hello mums the word,

I'm sorry your daughter is feeling so stressed. I'm no expert (I'm sure someone with better advice will be along shortly) but I can't imagine that the head of yr7 meant any harm; (s)he has probably completely misread your high achieving, laid back child & thought that she may enjoy the challenge of improving in these, less strong, areas.

There is also a chance that the two of them got their wires crossed.

If I were you I'd make an appointment to have an informal chat with the teacher to let them know of the your daughter's stress.

We all have strengths and weaknesses, life would be extremely unfair if one person was best at everything :)
Charlotte67

Post by Charlotte67 »

You two are obvioussly much faster at typing than I am. :evil:
laid back son worried mum

Post by laid back son worried mum »

(off topic:But you are Bo55ier, OBABO)

You two are obviously much faster at typing than I am
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

:D Maybe faster typing but Gorilla Tipsy jumps in defensvely without thinkng clearly. :oops: Will I ever morph into an owl. :(
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Back to Rehab please ladies, before I call in the hit squad.

Mums the word - I agree that an informal appointment with the Year 7 Head makes sense. Wires crossed or not, she needs to know that her comments have left your daughter feeling stressed. Hopefully she will think more carefully before delivering the same message in future.

Sally-Anne
mums the word

Post by mums the word »

Thankyou for your replys I have just phoned the School and spoken to the head of year 7 and she has claffied the situation that as my daughter is a high achiver in most subjects and all that she meant was that it will probley not be possible for my daughter to achive this level in those subjects. I metioned that my Daughter was a bit stressed over the matter and she was very sorry that she might have caused some stress.
This move from primary school to secondry school is diffucult after having a real sort of one to one with daughters primary school teachers, just popping in when a problem occurs, or a chat on their progress to not really knowing much at all, apart from daughters books and what they tell you. :roll:
katel

Post by katel »

Not meaning to be thick - but what on earth is the point of getting level 7s in year 7?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now