Twins appeal: Should the panel know?

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

toony

Twins appeal: Should the panel know?

Post by toony »

We are appealing for a foundation school who run their own appeals. My husband had a phone call today to say they had received my daughter's appeal documents and noted she was a twin. Were we going to appeal for both of them?

We were planning to appeal for only one of the twins on the basis that they have a twin criteria and would therefore, should the appeal be successful, offer the other twin a place too.

The admissions lady said she would have to draw this to the panel's attention. Is this right or fair, as it would seem to prejudice the case?
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

I'm surprised that she telephoned you about this - rather than raising it at the hearing - but I can't say that it's illegal.

I assume she means it will be mentioned at the hearing, not that she will be having a private word with the panel.

I think it was very likely to be raised by someone at the hearing anyway, but I don't believe it should be a factor in the panel's decision-making.

If it is raised at the hearing, I would give an honest answer, but ask as courteously as possible: "Does it have any relevance to this appeal? The only issue under consideration is surely whether the case for the twin being appealed for today outweighs the prejudice to the school?"
Etienne
toony

Post by toony »

Thanks Etienne.

She implied to my husband that she would ensure the panel were notified in advance about this.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Well, that would be highly improper.

Neither you nor the admission authority can have any dealings with the panel outside of the hearing.

The only information given to the panel in advance of the hearing should be the written cases, and these have to be copied to all parties, so that everyone has exactly the same information.
Etienne
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now