Appealing For 3rd Choice School

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

listerhill

Appealing For 3rd Choice School

Post by listerhill »

Hi I'm hoping someone out there can please, please help.

I have an appeal hearing in the next few weeks and I am very afraid as I'm appealing for a school that I placed as 3rd choice on my CAF form. Does any one know if the appeals panel will know where I placed the school on my application form? If they don't know can they ask me?
Our first and second choice schools were grammar schools, my daughter missed her first choice school by quite a large range but missed her second choice by only 3 marks, a huge shame! We however decided not to appeal for this 2nd choice school mainly because the clerk told us that no appeals had been won in the last 5 years, so we didn't bother. I also didn't believe that we had a strong enough case for appeal, she was quite boderline and just didn't pull it out on the day.
Her 3rd choice school however is a good comprehensive and the main thing is that she is eager to go there.
She has been offered a place at her 4th choice school, but the problem with it, is that it is in a bad area and far from home. I'm a single mum and i won't have the time to drop her off and pick her up for school everyday as I'm working fulltime. I really wouldn't feel safe with her travelling to and from the school. Our 3rd choice school is considerably nearer to home and better liked by my daughter.

My main question here is, will I be penalised or not taken seriously at the appeal hearing for not having put the school that I am appealing for down as first choice?
Also is it wise to attend the appeal hearing on my own? I was thinking of trying to drag her dad there but he hasn't shown any interest so far and i don't believe he would actually contribute positively. Is his presence overall likely to have a positive impact? just thinking that there's a chance that he might not turn up on the day and that I might end up even more stressed, how important is his presence likely to be?

All advice will be greatly appreciated

L
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Does any one know if the appeals panel will know where I placed the school on my application form?
At an oversubscription appeal, an LA panel is quite likely to have a copy of your common application form. A foundation school panel is less likely to have a copy.

You shouldn't be penalised for listing the school 3rd, but it's important that you explain. If asked, point out that in your view they were equal preferences but you thought you had to list the grammar schools first. Go on to explain why you are not appealing for the grammar schools, and why this is the only school that matters.

The best thing to do would be to take a friend to the hearing. The friend doesn't have to say anything, but is just there for moral support and to make you feel more comfortable.

I don't think anyone should be on their own in such a stressful situation.
Etienne
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now