Maths Homework

General forum for Secondary Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
chad

Maths Homework

Post by chad »

OK... now I am lost.... ds came home with algebra using indices...

He was fine on most of it but stumped on this one....

(1/27)to the power of -1/3 multiplied by (4/9) to the power of -3/2

Worked it out using the calculator... answer 81/8

any maths genius' able to help me out in explaining the process?

Let down by my 'Book of Maths'.... it doesn't go as far as negative indices so any recommendations on a bible for GCSE maths appreciated :oops:
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Hi there

A negative power means take the reciprocal (turn the fraction upside down)

(1/27) to the 1/3 means the cube root of (1/27) = 1/3

so (1/27) to the - 1/3 is = 3/1

(4/9) to the 3/2 means square root then cube ie 2/3 cubed = 8/27

so (4/9) to the -3/2 is = 27/8

total answer = 3/1 x 27/8 = 81/8

Hope this helps:

http://www.mathsrevision.net/gcse/pages.php?page=26
chad

Post by chad »

G55....Thanks loads.......completely understand now.....

Simple when explained....... it just looks horrible. :roll:

Told Ds to just apply the rules to each 'section' then multiply... he had no probs doing it.

Really appreciate your help.
Road Runner

Mel x

Post by Road Runner »

Hi Guys

Hope someone can help.

My son just received his test results back from a math test at school and was really dissapointed as he didn't do well at all(50%). He seems to be very able in class and with his homework but says when he sees the math test he panics. He is in year 8 and as such next month will do some end of year tests in all subjects and so really wants to be prepared particularly now on the maths.

Is there a book I can get that will help him revise. Also do you think we should be worried. He asked his tutor what he should do and she just suggested some maths surgery(a lunchtime thing) but wasn't overly concerned. The particular test was very hard by all accounts and as he does well in class she isn't worried so he isn't neither.

Baring in mind Maths is not my strong point so any advice is welcome from you

Thanks

Mel
chad

Post by chad »

Hi Mel

Sometimes it is just the way the question is worded that throws them.... as the teacher is not that worried about his ability this may be the problem .

Going over some KS3 questions to make sure he understands what they are asking him to do may help him.
Y

Post by Y »

Does his school have on-line maths homework? My DS's school uses a commercial on-line package, and we've used this to do revision, since you can access the exercises at any level. It's been helpful in providing bite-size chunks.
MGSMUM

Post by MGSMUM »

Hi Mel

When I read your post, it really struck a chord - because I have exactly the same issue with my DS - also a Year 8. He has (had?) always been pretty much top of the class when it came to maths, and his coursework is still regarded as excellent. However, his maths tests results do not reflect this, and they have been very disappointing. In fact, his last test results, just a few weeks back were 40%!

I spoke to his maths teacher about this, and she didn't seem unduly concerned, because his coursework is so good. But, of course, I'm concerned because externally (eg GCSE) he will be assessed on tests, and they are not good. I don't know whether this is an issue for your son, but my son's maths teacher says that he needs to slow down in tests - he goes at them hammer and tong, and doesn't read things properly. He doesn't make silly mistakes, but he misunderstands what he's meant to do. Maybe if your son panics when he sees the tests, he does something similar?

She has also recommended a particular publication's revision guide - but I'm not sure if I'm allowed to mention it on the public forum or not.....? I'll PM you - I don't want to break any rules!

His teacher has also said that the children don't yet know how to revise properly or effectively - something that will come over (not too distant, I hope!) time.

But certainly, I've taken the lead from his teacher - she does not seem particularly concerned, and I guess she sees this sort of thing time and time again, and I've just tried to provide some revision books and as much support as I can at home.
Road Runner

Mel x

Post by Road Runner »

Hello again thanks for the replies.

No my ds doesn't have on line home work I wish he did as that would help.

MGSMUM I have PM'd you twice.

Mel
scatshouse

Post by scatshouse »

Hi Mel X,

Was it a year 9 SAT paper your son did?

My daughter also year 8 only got 18/30 on a mental maths paper, but the teacher said this was fine, as some of the work hadn't been covered yet, and that she was on target for year 9.

Maybe they've done this at your son's school, I'm sure he'll be fine if the teacher is not concerned.

Scatshouse.
MGSMUM

Post by MGSMUM »

Hi Mel

Just wondering how things are progressing with your DS's maths? Just thought that I would share with you our recent experience. I had a long chat with DS about 'reading the question' - and reading it at least 3 times, and then doing the questions slowly, and not going like the proverbial bull in a china shop. I also bought a SATS levels 6-8 pack of practice papers - they didn't get touched, but the CD that came with it did - and proved a great hit (boys and their computers - huh?)

Well, he took my advice on board, and admitted that adopting the slower approach to the papers meant that he still had plenty of time. Result - 2nd place in the Year 8 exams. I was stunned! (Naturally, his father asked why he didn't come first - he was joking - I think!)

I am convinced this is one of the 'keys' with boys - especially those 'gung-ho' types - they just need to slow down a bit, and not try to conquer the world in a day!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now