RLS Appeals

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
out of county dad

RLS Appeals

Post by out of county dad »

Hi all

There are 41 appeals for RLS this year ( :shock: seems a lot) - all from out of catchment

Anyone know how many were successful last year?

Thanks
OOCD
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

The number on roll in Y8 is 175 according to the school census Sally- Anne posted - since PAN is 168 I would guess 7 were successful either at this stage or from moving into the area.

Since Y7 is below PAN I would guess there were no transfer appeals for current Y7 - or some people moved.

Anyone who lives in MK should seriously consider Sir Henry Floyd - its recent Ofsted was better than AGS or AHS -
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

What I can't understand is why it's suddenly gone from below PAN for Y7 entry last year to 41 transfer appeals this year! :shock: Did one of the schools in MK get a really bad Ofsted, or what? :?

Very puzzled.
Marylou
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Fewer children in Aylesbury Vale qualified - remember AHS had/have a number of places (20 or so) in Y7 which I can't remember happening for sometime.
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

Guest55 wrote:Fewer children in Aylesbury Vale qualified - remember AHS had/have a number of places (20 or so) in Y7 which I can't remember happening for sometime.
Yes, there were fewer qualified in Aylesbury Vale overall, which makes it even more puzzling that there were so many applications for RLS compared to the year before. After all, fewer in-catchment qualified applicants would mean more places for OOC applicants. Perhaps there were a lot of OOC siblings this year, or maybe it's simply that those from MK who would have applied for SHF or other schools in Aylesbury have opted for RLS instead - the old playground grapevine at work again?

Presumably some of the 41 applicants are from MK and, if their appeal fails, at least have the option of one of numerous vacant places in Aylesbury grammars. :roll: As I understand it, there are even buses laid on!
Marylou
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

No I meant the CURRENT year 7 had fewer qualify in Aylesbury Vale -

There are buses to both Buckingham and Aylesbury from MK
out of county dad

Post by out of county dad »

Hi Just checked actual figures from school/LEA we received as part of appeal. Current year 7 - 168, current Y8 - 174, current Y10 - 173

Looks like the've cut down on over PAN last year and this, so presumably not many if any appeals allowed last year?

Then again PAN goes up to 174 for Sept 2009 :evil:

Bad timing :(
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

No, as I said above, fewer qualified last year - they had a spare place in September.

Historically PAN has been 168 - the numbers over that indicate successful appeals. I can't see how they can justify 168 for September 2008 ....

It's just demographics -
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

Guest55 wrote:No I meant the CURRENT year 7 had fewer qualify in Aylesbury Vale -

There are buses to both Buckingham and Aylesbury from MK
Yes - sorry - I understand now! :)

I'm sure I read somewhere, though, that the size of the contingent in Buckinghamshire (and elsewhere) is on a downward trend so - in theory - if the number of GS places remains static, then the proportion of places going to OOC should increase if there are not enough in-county applicants to fill them.

Regarding the buses - MK residents are very lucky to have that facility, even if they do have to pay for it. And they are also fortunate that the buses travel to Aylesbury as well as Buckingham! So it's hardly surprising that RLS is regularly oversubscribed, I suppose.
Marylou
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

No - the population in the north of the county is INCREASING - it's the south of the county where there are falling rolls at Primary