NFER -- > IPS "letter question types"

Advice on 11 Plus VR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
boltew

NFER -- > IPS "letter question types"

Post by boltew »

How does one know that the tests produced by NFER contain the 21 IPS letter question types (and not the other types that can be found in books such as Susan Daughtrey and Bond)?

Thanks,
B
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Boltew

The Nfer packs that you can buy in the shops contain only 15 types. [they are missing HIKNOS, as identified by IPS] The Nfer tests taken as the 'real' test can be 15 or 21. Many areas have converted to the 21. The Tiffin schools use the 21 in multiple choice form.

Susan Daughtrey, Bright Sparks use the 21 in both M/C and standard form. Susan Daughtrey books 1-7 uses 35 plus types, in standard form only.

Bond uses 50 types. Only 17 of these types are applicable to the '21' so 4 are missing and far too many are included.

How do I know, because I have been tutoring for many many years. I have seen the familarisation tests used by the authority.[21 types] My students report back with amazing accuracy as to which types come up in each test. The Books 1-7 used to be relevant to Bucks and other areas using NFER but that was about 10 years ago [std form as they did not use the computer readers to mark the M/C tests.]

Patricia
boltew

Post by boltew »

Thanks Patricia.

I will certainly be having a word with my son's tutor this week. I've been doing lots of research this weekend and been going through all the stuff my son has been doing with his tutor. Many of the questions types he has been taught are some of the ones I have found in the Susan Daughtry that are not of the 21 types. I have identified about 3 types (of the 21) that he has not covered yet. I have tried to sit down with him and show him how to work through these 3 types but he's not interested at all and tells me that his tutor doesn't do these question types and he will not do them. The same applies with the M/C papers. I bought the IPS daily tests (M/C) but he refuses to do these too on the grounds that his tutor doesn't do them.
His homework for the past two weks has been comprehension. I'm not sure how this is going to help him pass the test!
Bexley Mum 2

Post by Bexley Mum 2 »

Patricia - I'm so pleased that you've posted such a clear explanation of VR types. I've been through the 11+ twice and, though we were successful each time, I've never really understood what was meant by the different types. I think I've finally got it - thank you!!
stevew61

Post by stevew61 »

Hi Patricia,

Your explanation of "old Bucks" before computers has helped me with Kendrick requirements.

Looks like they are still using "old" standard NFER so we need to prepare accordingly, thanks. :)

steve
Mike

Post by Mike »

Hi Boltew

Have you looked at the free method & technique course on this site from The Tutors, that links to the free Demo. Your son may like the alternative format of computer based learning rather than completing papers all the time.

Regards

Mike
Mike Edwards is a co-author of The Tutors product range.
yvonne

NFER types 1-21

Post by yvonne »

please can you tell me which publications ahve all 21 types required by Essex.
ymcc
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now