Analogies

Useful tips and ideas for the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Y

Post by Y »

[quote="Greta2"]
But whilst he is very accurate at the code, maths and Z type questions (usually 100% correct) he struggles with all of the vocab type questions, especially the type M questions. e.g. Time is to (first, second, third) as distance is to (gram, kilo, metre)

We are working on the vocab separately but even when he knows the meaning of all of the words in the lists he seems to often come up with the wrong answer! He can justify his choice and then wants to stubbornly stick with it and will say that his answer is better / it was a poor question etc but then gets upset by his low score. He is very young in his year and I am just beginning to feel he is so much less mature than DS1 was in his whole attitude.

OK so this is what I have tried so far for the type M ….

Explaining that all the words will be related in some way but it is getting the “best fitâ€
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Greta

Follows a copy and paste of an old post of mine re analogies...

Children often fall into traps with this type of question. I first explain to my children that the CONNECTION MUST be the SAME in each line.

That CONNECTION is one of 4 [opposite, similar, a relation,a spelling]

1] Opposite in meaning

Contest is to [game, football,agree] as Light is to [ sun, lamp, heavy]

Child sees game next to contest, immediate mindset, difficult to get the fact that contest also means....dont agree. Light put next to sun and lamp, mindset. light comes from sun etc, however it also describes the weight of something. As the only one from the 4 that applies to both sets/lines, is OPPOSITES.....this must be the answer........agree and heavy.

2] Similar in meaning

Dormant is to [ door, asleep, awake] as flaw is to [floor, defect, tiles]

First set has one word with same meaning and one word that is opposite, Second set has one word that is a homophone, one that is the same......as both lines have to have SAME connection.....must be the words that mean the SAME......asleep and defect.

3] A relation

Car is to [road, garage, petrol] as plane is to [hangar, pilot, airport]

First set...car DRIVES on a road, car is STORED in a garage, car RUNS on petrol. Second set.....plane is STORED in a hangar.....

Found the same connection...STORED in. With relation types.....always try to find the SAME words to describe a word in each line, in this case its the word STORED. Other possibilities are....Comes from, is poured from, is a baby of, is the colour, lives in,....

4] Spelling.....this can be split into 3

a] homophones......reign and rain
b] word has a letter added or removed......part and pat, bake and brake, scent amd sent.
c] word has same letters but order changed.....laid and dial, madam and madam

Child must remember the answer is one of four options [ opposite, same, relation, spelling].....I tell my students to scan both sets first [often the required words jump out at them] if not apply the 4 posibilities.

Hope this helps

I expect 100% marks for all maths [I, G, K, P ], codes [ C, L, N, U], where does the letter come from [O an R] finding the hidden 4 letter word [E] No guessing is allowed on A, F, J, Q, and Z unless I can see evidence of trying to work out the answer, compound words they must write out all the words, with each pairing next to each other.

Patricia
Greta2

Post by Greta2 »

Thank you for the breakdown of the types of answers – that makes the options so clear I am going to print that out for myself and go over it with him again.

The links also look good – so thank you for those.
Can you give us any concrete examples of his answers and his justification? When you tell him to create a pair of sentences (perhaps with a question he got the answer right for), can he do it? Have you considered searching out some easy ones to practise on?
Yes when he gets the answer right for these he can then put them into a sentence although still sometimes needs prompting to get the right verb so will tend to say for example “shoes go with feet as gloves go on handsâ€
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Greta

Perhaps you could explain to your son that a nail is not a tool, so technically would not be kept in a tool box. [I know some may keep nails in their toolboxes, but not everyone] Hammer = tool, nail = ? Fork = tool, knife= tool, Nail becomes the odd one...

The questions are asking for the 'best fit' therefore cut and hit are the best answers. Hammer and Knife are both 'tools' what are they used for ...hitting and cutting. The connection phrase used for becomes the operative relation...

Often I will tell children, although their answer is very close, there is a better answer.....

Patricia
Y

Post by Y »

Some sample sentences for you, from the IPS Additional Practice questions book. Note that in each one, I can write the identical sentence, just swapping in the words that make the correct answer:

dial is laid backwards
madam is madam backwards

a dozen means twelve
a score means twenty

if you slide, then that's (nearly!) the same thing as if you slip
if you fall, then that's (nearly!) the same thing as if you collapse

a goat has a kid as its baby
an elephant has a calf as its baby

chuckle is a way to laugh
weep is a way to cry

a tricycle has 3 wheels
a bicycle has 2 wheels

March comes immediately after February
November comes immediately after October

Degrees are a form of measurement, and an angle is measured in degrees
Litres are a form of measurement, and water is measured in litres.

Butter is made from milk
Wine is made from grapes

a butcher sells meat
a greengrocer sells vegetables

a car is stored in a garage
an aeroplane is stored in a hangar

an eye provides the sense of sight
a nose provides the sense of smell

and your son's one:

Hammer is to (toolbox, hit, nail) as Knife is to (fork, table, cut)
should be something like:

the purpose of a hammer to hit something
the purpose of a knife is to cut something

His explanation doesn't work because you can't write the same basic sentence for each of hammer and nail, and knife and fork. He's made a valid link, but a cutlery draw is not a toolbox. (He could, of course, get round this by saying 'A hammer and nail are stored together, a knife and fork are stored together'! But, as Patricia says, you have to find the best answer, and in the 'correct' answer there is a closer relationship between hammer/hit, knife/cut than between hammer/nail and knife/fork.)
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now