A Gay Geek Wearing Glasses at Grammar!

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

scatshouse

A Gay Geek Wearing Glasses at Grammar!

Post by scatshouse »

Apparently this is what the kids in my son's class are saying he will become :shock: .

Funny then how at the moment they are all copying his clothes and hairstyle! So I'm not sure when this transformation will take place.

Whilst the teachers should be congratulated on teaching them alliteration I can't help thinking that they should also be listening to how they are using it. My son hasn't felt well this week and it's got to him a bit, with tears and doubts about his choice of school. He's bounced back now though after a call from CBBC about a programme he's applied to be on and a talk in the class about name calling .
zorro

Post by zorro »

They are jealous ! Ds is only boy in his class to be going to selective school but this has been met by total indifference by his friends as they are still going to see each other.
Which CBBc programme as DS is an avid viewer.
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Wait till he's bringing home his six figure salary. :D of course they'll still be jealous and then he'll probably get called a social climber! :wink:
Sam's Mum

Post by Sam's Mum »

Scatshouse

This is exactly why the grammar school is the right option - he won't be teased for being clever.

My ds, a grammar school veteran of 3 yrs, fits at least 2 of the 3 stereotypes (guess only time will tell with the 3rd :wink: ) and the boys at his school just accept him for who he is - in fact the term "geek" is not even seen as derogatory.

As Zorro says, they're just jealous.
gloucestermum

Post by gloucestermum »

At cricket this week,DS was asked which school he was going to in September-on answering the local grammar(boys only),he was told "well there's a 95% chance you'll be gay then,you pansy!!"

Had a good laugh about it actually....as the child concerned is the locall ruffian!!
Glos_Mum

Post by Glos_Mum »

Last edited by Glos_Mum on Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
scatshouse

Post by scatshouse »

This is exactly why the grammar school is the right option - he won't be teased for being clever.
Sam's Mum, this is also why I thought a grammar school would be better for him, I know that at the local comp he would still be called a swot or geek or whatever for being in the top sets. At least at grammar they are all working at the same level, more or less.

Zorro, the programme is Escape From Scorpion Island, he's only had a first phone interview and there's a long way to go, but the call came at just the right time to cheer him up :D .
happymum

Post by happymum »

scatshouse wrote:Zorro, the programme is Escape From Scorpion Island,
That's a great programme.
zorro

Post by zorro »

Scatshouse,
That's a brilliant programme - my kids love it!
Good luck, hope he gets on.
scatshouse

Post by scatshouse »

We've been having a joke this weekend about the name calling in son's school and he can now just laugh it off.

Gay? The first comment my son made after being told that tv programme this year was to include half Australians was "Yeah, are Australian girls nice looking?" He also has a string of girls calling and asking him out :shock: .

And anyway, his sister thinks it would be cool to have a gay brother!

Geek? Not sure what a geek is, but at his first 11+ practice test all the 6th form helpers were shouting 'look at this cool dude' and giving him high fives all the way to his place.

Glasses? He did have glasses with clear lenses, but only because he thought the designer frames were trendy!

Grammar? Well yes, they got that one right.

25% correct - which is why they didn't get a place :D .