question types

Advice on 11 Plus VR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
BLANCA

question types

Post by BLANCA »

we have just started Tutors vr 80 question tests, and as advised we have completed papers 1&2. dd scored much higher on the first (96% and 88% on the second) so I am wondering if the real Bucks test questions are split like this or if both could be any number of combination of questions. The reason i'm asking is because I know she will only need to pass one paper and of course i'm hoping there is a good chance that one paper will be full of the questions she is ok with!!

many thanks
Mike

Post by Mike »

Hi BLANCA

Before writing the 21 question type papers we consulted with a tutor in Bucks. The format of the papers are in the format that was suggested at the time.

The general view is that there is little change in the format of the papers from one year to the next.

What we do know is that the nine question types that do not appear in paper 1 will appear in paper 2.

I think Patricia can give you more insight to the most recent, 2007, papers.

Regards

Mike
Mike Edwards is a co-author of The Tutors product range.
BLANCA

Post by BLANCA »

Thank you mike,

I was hoping that you or Patricia would reply. So sorry to be dim but does that mean she would have a fair chance of passing at least one paper?
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Blanca

You cannot gaurantee what is going to come up in paper 1, you can be sure that once paper 1 is known, all the other types will appear in the second paper [plus 2 unknown cossovers and Zs again.]

The split between the 2 papers will change every year. There are 12 types on paper 1 with the other 9 [plus Z plus 2 crossovers] on paper 2. The 12 will vary every year as will the 9.

for example...

One year paper 1 may be C, L, G, I , D, M, S, O, A, J, F and Z

Paper 2 may be N, U, K, P, B, H, Q, R, E with crossovers of Z, S and F

The next year , paper 1 could be C, N ,K, G, R, E, Q, D, B, A, J and Z

Paper 2 may be L, U, P, I, O , H, F , M, S with crssovers Z, Q and C

So, although the 21 will appear over the 2 tests, the mix will change each year as will the crossovers.[except that Z appears in both tests]

So no you cannot assume she has a fair chance of passing 1 paper as the mix will vary. Best to make sure she is confident in all areas.

Patricia
BLANCA

Post by BLANCA »

Oh, ok

thanks Patricia, we will keep going.
Mike

Post by Mike »

Hi BLANCA

At this early stage it is important to give a little attention to the question types and their names/descriptions using whichever author you choose.

DIY parents are at a distinct disadvantage compared to the private tutors and preparatory schools. This is because once the first paper is completed there becomes 9 "known" question types plus the "Z" type question on the second paper. Organisations with a large number of pupils will have a better idea of the content than one individual.

If the DIY student is familiar with all the question types by names/descriptions then after the first paper tuition can be focussed entirely on the missing types.

Regards

Mike
Mike Edwards is a co-author of The Tutors product range.
BLANCA

Post by BLANCA »

Thank you Mike,

I can see how that would have a big impact on the 2nd paper.

We have been using Tutors & IPS so dd should be able to tell me what has come up on first paper. Do children usually remember?

Do you know what percentage children are getting on practice papers who go on to pass in bucks? maybe Patricia as your in bucks? I know it will always change from year to year but just as a ball park.

many thanks for all you help
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Blanca

Your child will complete 5 familiarisation sessions, covering a few questions on each of the 21 types, followed by 3 practice tests. The 5 sessions and paper A are easier than the real test. Tests 1 and 2 are of a similar standard to the real tests. All these are sent home before the real testing.

After my children have completed the first real test, they are under strict instructions to come home and tick off from the familiarisation booklet the types that appeared in that test. They perform this task with amazing accuracy, so yes your child will more than likely remember the types.

Percentages, the pass mark is in the region of 86%, I like my children to be scoring 90%.

Once you have completed the Tutors, proceed on to Susan Daughtreys Bright Sparks series.

Patricia
BLANCA

Post by BLANCA »

Once again, thank you so much for all your help. I must admit i'm starting to wish I had just got a tutor, but will follow all your advise and I guess we will just hope for the best now!
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Following the guidelines on here is just as good - even if the children remember accurately you still don't know which ones will NOT be tested agin.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now