I haven't a clue!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Wirral

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

jaime120899

I haven't a clue!

Post by jaime120899 »

Well, as a newbie, after having read quite a few of the posts, I'm starting to worry.
My DD is in year 4 - the youngest in her year, but is on the gifted and talented register for english, maths and science, and scored 131 in whatever the test that they do in February, (I think it's similar to an IQ test). ,
HOWEVER...... because she's so far ahead than the rest of her class, she doesn't think that she needs to put any effort in. All through her school life, both I and her teachers have known that she needs to be with brighter children - she needs to not be the brightest kid in the class. How do you explain to an eight-year-old that she is not always going to be the cleverest? Anybody got any motivational tips?
Sorry for the ramble
Jaime
guest42

Post by guest42 »

Hi there.

Well I have a child in a similar situation, although somewhat older and I know what a challenge it is. I think you motivate them by telling them how much better it will be if there were some more bright kids and that this is likely to be the case in the future. My experience is that most bright kids would prefer to be challenged rather than coast.

My DD likes to do well...but appreciates even more having contemporaries who can understand her world.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Has she had a go at the Primary Maths challenge?

http://www.m-a.org.uk/education/primary ... challenge/

Some of the mational medal winners were younger than Y6 ...
jaime120899

Post by jaime120899 »

I had a look at that website, thank you. I don't think our school has even heard of it. looking at the previous results, there wasn't one single finalist from Wirral, and only one from Liverpool, coming from Liverpool Prep.
Somebody came into school a couple of months ago and tested her, and another couple of kids, but the school won't tell me who he was. I strongly suspect that he was from Acre Lane, (which is the centre for excellence on the Wirral) but they won't admit to it, because they are supposed to be providing extra work for her, but she gets nothing at all. I wouldn't mind, but I can't even help... I only got CSE maths!! i could do the examples on that Primary Challenge, but I wouldn't be able to work them out with a formula. I probably haven't used any type of formula for 29 years, when I left school.
jaime120899

Post by jaime120899 »

guest42 wrote: My DD likes to do well...but appreciates even more having contemporaries who can understand her world.
I know what you are saying. But she is sooo infuriating. Unless she REALLY likes her teacher, she just doesn't feel the need to impress. In year 1, she hated the teacher and wouldn't do a single thing for a whole year. At parents' evening, the teacher said that she wasn't any good at anything. I'm at a loss really.
guest42

Post by guest42 »

So it sounds to me that the problem is lack of healthy competition!

Have you thought of something outside school-not necessarily academic-your child might enjoy the challenge if they can't rely on their brainpower.

I have to say that I am very cynical about the gifted and talented programme. It seems to blow a lot of hot air and achieve little
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

You could show the school the info about the Primary Maths challenge - my child's Primary did it and all enjoyed it. It's not exactly expensive either!
Mike

Post by Mike »

Hi jaime

As you have posted on the Wirral forum I assume your daughter will be sitting the Wirral 11+ tests for grammar school entrance.

Have you considered looking at some verbal reasoning questions with your daughter?

Although your daughter is bright in the curriculum subjects, many areas of verbal reasoning are non-curricular therefore may be more stimulating to her active mind.

Have a look at the free methods & technique course from The Tutors, on the free download section, which links to the free demo for The Tutors VR CD1.

We find that the additional dimension of computer based learning can be more stimulating for the child than continuous pen and paper exercises.

Regards

Mike
Mike Edwards is a co-author of The Tutors product range.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now