How many Questions in Wirral 11+ tests?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Wirral

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
cyberbird

How many Questions in Wirral 11+ tests?

Post by cyberbird »

Hi,

I've just been told that last years two 11+ tests on the Wirral had 100 questions each to be completed in 50 minutes.

I'd always thought it was two tests of 80 questions, each of 50 minutes. Can somebody please clear this up
Mike

Post by Mike »

Hi cyberbird

As myself and others have posted regularly to this forum with advice on the Wirral 11+ tests and as I personally have tutored for the Wirral 11+ tests for twelve years, I think you would have witnessed a public hanging if last years Wirral 11+ was in the format suggested by the person who advised you.

I would suggest that you refer the person to this site for clarification, or contact Wirral LEA for clarification, or contact any parent whose child sat the Wirral 11+ last year, or to indicate to you where he/she acquired the inaccurate information.

Rumours, such as this are damaging to the 11+ community because there is a large amount of anxiety already in the minds of many parents who are starting the 11+ process.

There are on-going re-assesments relating to 11+ tests, such as choice of test provider, content and format of test etc. However, these become public knowledge in time for the 11+ professional to advice parents and students accordingly.

Regards

Mike
Mike Edwards is a co-author of The Tutors product range.
cyberbird

Post by cyberbird »

Thanks Mike,

I thought as much.

Sadly, the daughter of the lady who told my wife sat the test last year. That's where the mis-information came from.
Mike

Post by Mike »

Hi cyberbird

Did the daughter of the lady who told your wife pass the 11+ and receive an offer of a place at one of the grammar schools?

Regards

Mike
cyberbird

Post by cyberbird »

Hi Mike,

Yes, she's at the girls grammer school in West Kirby.

I've just checked on what was actually said. My wife said that our son was practising with 80 question test papers and the mother said that it was a lot harder when they did the real test because it was 100 questions. The girl was there at the time and confirmed it was 100 and said you had to be careful which practice papers you used.
Mike

Post by Mike »

Hi cyberbird

Have looked at West Kirby Grammar school website that states that the responsibility for the 11+ entrance tests is with Wirral Local Education Authority and advice can be obtained through the education services department.

The 11+ entrance tests organised by Wirral LEA for West Kirby, Wirral Girls, Wirral Boys and Calday are of the following format:

Provided by NFER
2 Verbal Reasoning Papers covering 21 question types.
80 questions per paper completed in 50 minutes per paper.
The combined scores from both papers gives the actual score.
The actual score is standardised for age differences.

All the advice relating to the tests is provided in a familiarization pack, written by NFER, that is used in the primary schools to prepare children for the tests. Out-of-area parents receive the packs at the beginning of year six so that they can familiarize their children with the content and format.

All competent tutors preparing children for the Wirral 11+ tests will be familiar with the test content and will use appropriate resources.

Anyone who receives information that contradicts what is the current state of affairs on the Wirral regarding entrance to the four grammar schools above should treat such information with care.

Regards

Mike
cyberbird

Post by cyberbird »

Many thanks!
guest42

Post by guest42 »

It is worth stating that Upton Hall is slightly different in that there are two papers with 50 mins but the first has 75 questions and the second 85. (correct me if this is slightly wrong). However this all takes place in 1 morning whilst the 11+ for the other 2 grammar schools appears to last for ever (wk 1 practice 1 wk 2 practice 2 wk 3 test 1 wk 4 test 2)

It is also worth stating that performance is judged against the average of those who have taken the test. So a harder test is not necessarily bad as everyone else will also find it hard.
Mike

Post by Mike »

Hi guest42

I deliberately left Upton Hall and St Anselms out of the list of Grammar schools on the Wirral.

Although they are both grammar schools in the general understanding of the term in that they are selective, they can and do use different entrance criterias than the "standard" grammar schools.

For those who are interested Upton Hall and St Anselms are the equivalent of Catholic Church Grammar Schools, as such they remain independent of the Wirral LEA as far as selection is concerned.

Regards

Mike
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now