Just had appeal hearing...still shaking!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Medway

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
kentmedwayborder

Just had appeal hearing...still shaking!

Post by kentmedwayborder »

well that had to be THE most nerve wracking experience of my life....and I have it all to do again next week for other appeal!

Panel were very nice but still nerve wracking.

The headteacher of the school I am appealing for was more helpful than I thought they should be....for example when I showed DD primary SATS results she even pointed out to the panel that the SATS results were probably more of an indication of DD potential than the 11+ because they show just how much of an improvement she has made ....and also that such borderline girls do very well at her school....that she would do well at her school !...shocked me a bit as I thought the school were supposed to be against my appeal as they dont want more pupils?!

is this normal? or am I making too much of a standard comment?

anyway thats all I can do for now

I have everything crossed!

hugs to all going through this at moment ***
Sam's Mum

Post by Sam's Mum »

I would take the headteacher's comments as an indication to the panel that if they are going to uphold any appeals they don't mind taking your daughter.

Good Luck - keeping fingers crossed for you.
kentmedwayborder

thank you sams mum

Just had another thought...... as the school have 10 places available and 40 appeals to hear....... could be that the head wants to ensure she gets her full numbers and therefore maximum funding....just a thought.

praying its over soon

x
Sam's Mum

Post by Sam's Mum »

You're in very similar situation to us. We were appealing for school that said they could take 10 over PAN and there were 39 appeals. I think the head teacher will know that they will probably have at least 10 appeals upheld and have a clear idea of which children they would like to take and is perhaps just trying to indicate that.

In the end our appeal panel upheld 17 appeals. :D
MGSMUM

Post by MGSMUM »

Hi Kent Medway Border

Good luck, and I hope you get the desired outcome! Do you mind me asking if it was a Kent school or Medway school that the appeal was for? We have our first appeal for a Kent school next week - and don't even have a date yet for the second one (!), and I'm very nervous about it. I have had a pretty comprehensive letter from the first school that we are appealing for, telling us that there is no way that they will allow any more pupils into the school - they've allocated all their places etc, and I know that the second one has also allocated all their places. I'm just trying to work out if this sort of letter is standard, and that in reality there are places available, or whether we really don't have any chance.
kentmedwayborder

Sam's mum.....sounds like very similar situation..... I dont want to get my hopes up though!

MGSMUM, sorry it was a Kent school this time and the letter did say that the school has 10 places available, but also that they could take 8 more than the PAN. So the places are there...it's just a matter of which of the appeals are more persuasive.

The second school I am appealing to, which is the school I actually want! Is a non grammar in Medway...........HEAVILY oversubscibed and the letter basically said ...all places allocated....you are not in catchment area.....we can NOT go over PAN, so unless a really good case for admission seems I have little chance.....but you never know and we have to keep trying ....it's my DD future !

The school I work at is waiting with anticipation for results of appeals too....as I will have to give up work if she doesnt get a local school...there is NO way she is travelling 32 miles a day to her allocated (renamed failing) school.

I only just had the date for my medway appeal, not the quickest of systems is it?

Year 6 children visiting secondary schools at very beginning of July...I pray it will all be sorted out by then, my DD will be devastated watching her friends go off to visit their schools when she hasnt got a clue where she will be!

I have actually told the primary school I will take her out on that day.... no arguments from them!

Let us know how you get on and when your hearing is

hugs
Sam's Mum

Post by Sam's Mum »

Did they say when you would get the results of this appeal?

I'm sure you must have a good case - after all, it's unreasonable to expect an 11 year old to make that journey every day, not to mention the fact that she would not be with any children from her local area. I can understand your thoughts about the school she has been allocated (I think I know which school you are referring to).

Good luck to you too MGS Mum. Our letter from the school said that although they had allocated up to their PAN they could take 10 more, rather than just saying they were full. Do you know how many appeals have been successful in recent years and also how many are actually on roll compared to the PAN? This might give you an idea of whether you have any chance.

I shall hope to hear good news from you both.
kentmedwayborder

MGSMUM.....sorry if I didnt explain that fully....still have it all going around and around in my head......

As I understand it, for my (next)medway appeal and from what you say for your appeal.. ....the school is full....they dont want to admit any more pupils.....that is the whole reason for the appeal......for an independant panel to decide whether your case for admission is stronger than their case for needing to stick to numbers they have.......so in answer to your question...stay positive and put your strongest case.....thats all we can do and hope that your case is better than theirs!

I am sure someone with a better grasp of the system and a better grasp of english (am still shaking!) will be along shortly to comment.....but until then keep asking on this site for advice......it's full of helpful and lovely people.

Have you read through the appeals section on this site? So much information on there.

hugs
kentmedwayborder

Hi Samsmum

yes I am hoping that medway appeal panel for Rainham Girls will take my arguments into account..........6 buses and a 6.30am start for my DD is completely out of the question to the school I think we both know ! My friend works there and even my KCC councillor said off the record there are SO many reasons you would not want your DD to go there!

anyway my main arguments will be the distance of allocated school, inability to form or retain friendships due to travelling, unsafe journey, etc etc

My house sale fell through ...I was moving to rainham, but am currently under KENT, just outside of RGS catchment area. so medway may just wipe their hands of me...not their problem is it?

Am trying to get info regarding the actual distances of girls offered places at RGS ...I cant believe they are ALL closer than us at 3.6miles!

thanks for taking the time to reply to this thread
xx
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Last edited by Belinda on Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.