level E maths Scotland

11 Plus Maths – Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

kosar.irshad

level E maths Scotland

Post by kosar.irshad »

Hi everyone, I hope someone can help me. I live in Scotland and I am new to the assesment procedures. My DS who is 10, came home yesterday and said he got 86% in level E maths does anyone know what that correlates to in English school assesments?, and is he on course for a stab at trying the exam for an independent school?
fm

Scottish system

Post by fm »

My eldest went to school in England, then Scotland, then back to England so I can give you a vague guide.

In Year 2 Sats she got level '3' in all subjects. We were handed these papers to take to Scotland and on some she had 4?. These were the days when they would consider younger children for this level.

She did primary 4, 5, 6 and most of 7 in Scotland. I have just dug up a report from May primary 6 (the equivalent of year 5 in England when she would have been 10). The report says working towards level D in English and Maths.

Then late October primary 7 we knew we were eventually moving back to England. She sat the Birmingham King Edward test in early November(we had about 8 days to prepare but in those days it was just VR and non-VR so it was do-able) and did win a place. She also sat the Wolverhampton Grammar School for Girls after a few weeks of intensive preparation (English, Maths, Non-verbal, Verbal) and won a place. Both of these are heavily over-subscribed with 1 in 10 and 1 in 6 or 7 winning places.

We did not move back to England until the week before Year 6 Sats. She did alright in Maths (a level 5 and sat the 6 paper). She achieved only a 4 in English reading paper (despite the earlier almost 4 the first time around); I think this was down to the total unfamiliarity of the exam. On Year 9, she went on to achieve a 7 and was asked (but refused) to do the advanced paper.

Anyway, whether your child is on Primary 6 or 7 and is a secure level E (compared to my daughter's working towards D), the above suggests he would definitely be GS/selective school material. And while I don't think you can directly compare the Scottish and English systems, I suspect he would be level 5 maths and possibly English.

I hope this is helpful. Which independent are you considering?
kosar.irshad

Post by kosar.irshad »

Many thanks for such a comprehensive reply fm. My son is starting P7 in August. he tells me that he has also got level D in English reading and writing. My concern about him trying the exam for Independent schools is his aversion to reading, he loathes it and thus his English is probably going to let him down. His teacher commented that if he is interested in atending an Independent he needs to be more well-read than he is, but how can I change that before January?
I am interested in Goerge Watsons and George Heriots.
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

kosar.irshad wrote:Many thanks for such a comprehensive reply fm. My son is starting P7 in August. he tells me that he has also got level D in English reading and writing. My concern about him trying the exam for Independent schools is his aversion to reading, he loathes it and thus his English is probably going to let him down. His teacher commented that if he is interested in atending an Independent he needs to be more well-read than he is, but how can I change that before January?
I am interested in Goerge Watsons and George Heriots.
These two schools are not as academically selective as some in Edinburgh so your child may be ok. One thiing you could do is to move him to a 13+ prep school for two years where the class sizes will be very small as many kids (especially the girls) leave after P7 to go onto 11+girl schools. This would mean that he would get quite a bit of individual attention and hopefully this would help him. If you went to this type of school and explained your situation and that you weren't expecting him to be a scholar but merely wanted him to be brought on, then I'm sure they would be open to having him. My only other suggestion is go directly to the senior schools and ask them to assess him now to see if he has potential and if not what other independent schools may be prepared to take him. Is he able in other subjects as if he is very good at science and maths then being less able linguistically does not mean that they would not accept him?
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now