King Edward VI, Aston. Appeal Date Thursday 12th June, 2008

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Jacknicmeg

King Edward VI, Aston. Appeal Date Thursday 12th June, 2008

Post by Jacknicmeg »

Thanks so far for everyones feedback, the date is here for the appeal and its this Thursday, worried as anything!

The headmaster from my original letter to the school oppoesed the decision to admit Jack on the basis that he isnt bright enough and that there are numerous other chidren whom scored a higher mark in the examination. Well, I/we knew about the marks but seriously, the letter, the notes from the school advising parents to read before confirming the date do say that in his opionion he isnt bright enough to attend.

How can one make this judgement just on a 11 plus exam. Afterall, we followed the advice of the headteacher and didnt give Jack 11 plus.

For someone who isnt bright enough though, he has scored, or rather his teacher has predicted leval 5 in his SATS which he has recently took.

Other circumstances of opposing the appeal was that to admit Jack would casue an over crowding problem, take time away from teachers as he would need more attention... its wrong! Others were that the were no extinuating circumstances to say why he didnt score so well in the exam - hang on, i'm not going to lie about his pet dieing or something to jus blag, once again its wrong.

Please someone help me, i need as much advice as i can get so i can pitch my heart out for Jack but without coming accross as arrogant.

As always, your comments are very much appreciated!

Scott.
Etienne

Re: King Edward VI, Aston. Appeal Date Thursday 12th June, 2

Post by Etienne »

I'm afraid you'll need a very strong case to win an appeal for this school - but I guess you know that already.

You need as much evidence as possible of high academic ability (level 5s are unlikely to be sufficient). See the Q&As, section B11:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/11plus ... nswers.php

Extenuating circumstances are discussed in section B10, B15, B20.

Have a look at B6 and B12 for some do's and don'ts.

The reference to overcrowding suggests that the school is also refusing admission on the grounds that it is full and to admit anyone else would cause prejudice.

You have to counter this by putting forward reasons why your son needs a place at this particular school. See Q&As, section C2.

Good luck
Etienne
Jacknicmeg

Post by Jacknicmeg »

Thanks for the above, your spot on, they have gone against the prejudice thing as well.

It just seems like excuse after excuse. Ill have a look at the clauses...

What a nightmare - I’m now starting to think we are just wasting our time.

Scott.
fm

Post by fm »

Dear Jacknicmeg,

I'm afraid predicted levels 5's won't do much as far as the KE Foundation is concerned. In my daughter's school well over 50% will get level 5's across the board but only 30% won entry to King Edward.

I'm afraid your best argument is the one you probably can't make--and that's the fact that Jack was competing against children who had been professionally tutored for the exam. In our school, of the successful candidates (28 or so), only 2 weren't tutored professionally; one did win entry (both parents teachers and very bright, hard-working child), the other didn't (clever boy but not outstanding). Of the candidates I tutored last year, I believe that only 2 (out of 14) might possibly have achieved entry without tuition.

Even 10 years ago when my eldest did the old exam (which was much more like the GS exams all other areas do and requires more practice than anything else in verbal and non-verbal), the vast majority of her friends had been professionally tutored.

If they did a survey of the children on entry, I suspect you would find a number like 97% either tutored or at prep schools or both.

I do understand your sense of unfairness and I suggest you go ahead with your appeal so you are satisfied you have done everything you can but, looking on Aston website, with only 1 appeal successful last year, you are fighting against the odds.
capers123

Post by capers123 »

Jacknicmeg wrote:Thanks for the above, your spot on, they have gone against the prejudice thing as well.

It just seems like excuse after excuse. Ill have a look at the clauses...
I'm going to be the devils advocate here. Not all children who get straight level 5's for their SATS are going to get a grammar place - teachers will have been pushing & tutoring them like mad to get those 5's (it reflects well on them and the school). I tend to think of 3 level 5's as an indicator that they are probably / possibly of grammar calibre - or to be more precise, I think if a child isn't predicted to get at least 2 L5's they're not likely to be suitable (there are, of course, exceptions).

Prejudice is important. You are appealing for your child. The school side is arguing on behalf all the other children who were offered a place, to say that if they took your child, the others would be badly affected (not enough computers, piano keyboards, cookers, and maybe one child would have to sit on the lap of another if there's not enough space in the classroom). One argument you can use is to look to see how many appeals were allowed in the previous years and ask how the school coped with them.

The final thing is that you must be absolutely sure that your child will be able to cope happily with grammar level teaching; being bottom and stressed in the class would not be fun, especially where they could well be towards the top of the class at a non-grammar school.

Other than that, good luck!
Capers
Jacknicmeg

Post by Jacknicmeg »

Thanks Capers, and you so right!

I seriously do think jack would cope, he is a bright boy and has always been in the top group of his lessons through all years.

In relation to him being bottom, etc - his friend (best friend actually) another bright boy has been offered a place (sibling in the school although they have denied this) despite that boy being in a lower group! He did have 11+ which, in my opinion only blags them through the entry exam.

On the contrary, I think the 11+ people are likely to struggle more so than those whom have got in on there own merits. I really don’t know but I kick myself now, follow the advice of the head teacher his mother and I said, he'll be fine - yeah right! Good one!
perplexed

Post by perplexed »

Have you tried setting out your appeal argument on paper?

Have you tried getting someone to read it through and see if your arguments make sense. I am not an appeals expert like Etienne but you need to explain clearly:
a) why you consider Jack to be in the top whatever %age this school requires and

b) why the benefit to Jack of being there outweigh the difficulties the school may experience educating an extra child

You could maybe send it in to this thread for feedback, or PM it to someone if you feel it is too confidential.

Good luck.
Jacknicmeg

Post by Jacknicmeg »

Hi everyone,

Such a tense time, am sitting waiting for the result of our appeal thinking I should contact the school directly.

All went very well, there was nothing more my wife and I could of done to put our case forward although she done better job than I. Less than 30 seconds into answering the first question I was uncontrollable, crying like a baby I was! Couldn't control my emotions, just hope the panel saw for themselves how much we all as a family, including Jack want this!

Such an emotional time but fingers crossed!
Bougalou

Post by Bougalou »

Good luck - when do you find out?
bougalou
Sam's Mum

Post by Sam's Mum »

Good Luck - I think the waiting is the worst bit!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now