WHAT FURTHER EVIDENCE CAN I USE - HELP!!

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
mumsy

WHAT FURTHER EVIDENCE CAN I USE - HELP!!

Post by mumsy »

Just wondered if any of the forum members could help me out.

I have already had one appeal which was unsuccessful. I have another appeal next week, and the nerves and anticipation are starting to cloud over me again!!

My DD did not pass the 11+ in Kent, VR-138/NVR-118/Maths-112. She has always achieved very highly at school. There was no HT Appeal. I have letters of support from HT and Class Teach confirming current SATs all 5C, and predicated all 5B's, and that she would be an asset and would thrive at a grammar school. I also submitted copy of KS1 SATs results (3's in all subjects), and a copy of end of Year 5 report, again confirming that she is in the highest teaching group in all subjects.

The first appeal said that there was insufficient evidence to say why the maths score was low? I now feel that i did not do enough to convince the panel of her ability.

Are there any successful appealants who were in a similar situation as me. And could you possibly give me any help as to what else I can use in my next appeal.

I am VERY, VERY desperate :( As my DD currently has no school at all, so any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
perplexed

Post by perplexed »

The school must have done some Cognitive Ability Tests recently. You need to show that your daughter is in top 25% for maths and I guess you have not shown this yet ...... you only have predictions, plus an 11+ fail score in maths, and a marginal fail in NVR too. Do you have any compelling reason why she did not perform according to her usual high ability on the day?

Can you get an Educational Psychologist to run some tests in time?

Good luck.
MGSMUM

Post by MGSMUM »

Did her current school do optional SAT's in Yrs 3, 4 & 5? If so, are they good scores, and could you use those?
mumsy

Post by mumsy »

Thanks for that perplexed.

I will contact the school regards the recent tests.

No reason why she did not perform on the day, apart from extreme nerves (like most of the other children i suspect).

Where could i get such report?? What does it involve and would this be helpful?

look forward to your reply.
mumsy

Post by mumsy »

Thanks MGSMUM.

I will call the school to check this as I am not sure.
mumsy

Post by mumsy »

Just called the school.

No CATs are taken at the school and no optional SATS either. SATS for this year will not be known until July!! So no hope there.

Any further suggestions??
MGSMUM

Post by MGSMUM »

Hi Mumsy

Did the school say how they assess the children then, if they don't do optional SAT's? Presumably, they must monitor and record their progress somehow? Other than to keep pursuing that point with the school, I'm not sure what else to suggest?

We're in a very similar position, 1st appeal failed, and I'm not sure what else we can use either - I'm sorry I can't offer any more help!
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

I'm afraid not all schools do CATs or optional SATs.

Would the school be prepared to write a letter stating that the Maths result was unexpected?

There is said to be a link between NVR and Maths. You might consider following Perplexed's suggestion of an EP report. One of our posters was able to find an educational psychologist who was willing to test NVR only (many will refuse to do this - and the full battery of tests is very expensive!). Time is short, however, and of course you may not get the NVR result you want .....
Etienne
mumsy

Post by mumsy »

Hi MGSMUM and Etienne,

thank you both for your replies.

The school did mid-year SATs using last years papers, and DD got all 5C's in those, that is prior to any further progress that has been made this year, and seeing as the school pushed hard and did extra lessons for SATs, they predict that she will get 5B's or above. The school letter does state that the Maths results is not a true indication of her actual ability.

I have looked up the timescale and cost of the assessments, and yes very expensive, but I will not now have the time to do this or research properly (I would not want to just pick someone randomly).

I will just have to give it my all (again), was thinking of doing a Sharon Stone, but two of the panel are women so this may not work either!!! :oops:

I will let you know how it goes.

Very best of luck to you MSGMUM.
medway222

Post by medway222 »

lol!!!