tipsy

Eton v's Winchester

Post by tipsy »

Eton v's Winchester
Peace

Re: Eton v's Winchester

Post by Peace »

tipsy wrote:Eton v's Winchester
Hi Tipsy, I saw the old thread was locked but just wanted to put in my to cents! Eton is simply the better school all round IMHO.

You don't have to decide 2 years in advance, you could accept both for now and so long as you pull out of the school you don't want with a decent full term or more notice of withdrawal in the year of entry, you won't lose anything beyond your acceptance deposit.

Winchester actually easier to get into as their pre-selection tests assess a boy's acquired knowledge, whereas Eton pre-selection also tests natural intelligence, so I think it follows that the future experience at the school will be on the same lines.

Look at the curriculums followed in the stuff that's NOT examined and you'll see what I mean.... and the Eton subject expansion trips are just amazing. to enjoy Eton though your boy needs to be bright and energetic and just interested in everything around him, basically secure in himself. Winchester might be a more comfortable place for a shyer boy.

Facilities at Eton far better, and being a larger school, there is a greater chance of a boy finding like minded boys to be friends with.

Winchester is also a fantastic school for the right sort of boy, usually the ones that like it are quietly confident rather than chirpily gregarious types that like Eton, especially if you are good at a few things but not necessarily achieving over 80% at everything, as their 13+ pass rate will overlook a lowish (60%) mark in one area if others are high, but if your son also takes his sport seriously then he might not be satisfied at Winchester although he will do very well academically and come out as more of an individual.

The common denominator these days at both schools is brains, not family standing or wealth.

Is your boy doing the King's scholarships / Winchester Elections or the regular 13+ Common Entrance and/or Winchester Entrance? Sure you know that the preparation is quite different for these two schools at the point of 13+ entry even for very clever boys... the exams are quite different from each other.

Let his own strengths, personality, and likes and dislikes guide you... Choice of housemaster actually more important than choice of school in the case of both Eton and Winchester.

Good luck!
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Thanks for the info Peace - where does your knowledge about the schools come from?

My son is expected to sit the Election/King's Scholarship. Funnily enough I discovered yesterday that Eton has its own bar called The Tap where sixth formers are allowed 2 pints of beer per night, probably to avoid binge drinking. This worries me because I don't think alcohol is good for developing brain cells and it is also at a crucial time in their academic career. I worry that if a child has the opportunity to drink daily (of course not all will) then it could start a future habit. After all us middle-incomers are the worst for our evening boozing... I say itting with a overlarge white wine! :oops: Winchester boys, apparently are allowed to get drunk in their houses once or twice a week with the master to get it out of their system, but that may be inaccurate?! Finally I read an exchange essay from a boy in South Africa about his term spent at Eton, and he commented on how the boys get up to stuff they shouldn't on a frequent basis in Windsor and London at weekends. Do you know if this is factual?
Peace

Post by Peace »

Hi Tipsy!
First hand knowledge myself, plus from my children, family, and friends.

One son was in same position as yours, had offers from Eton, Winchester, Harrow, Radley etc... problem with the boys choices is that pre-selections are so early that you're not really sure what the boy will like when he's 13 so then you line up a couple more schools just in case disaster strikes, bit silly really as you can only do common entrance for one first choice school, all the above refuse to be second choice and by the March at the latest you are still down to one school if your Head has let you hang on to the many choices up to that point (many won't).

Access to alcohol is a bit of an issue with all older teenagers, I am ok with guided access, show them the dangers, make clear at the right age what you expect from them according to your comfort levels, they should be ok. There will always be children who can't handle themselves, that's where the safety net comes in! Have to admit that looks to me that at many ages and levels, some people just can't have fun without drinking themselves silly.

Haven't heard about this South African exchange student but could well be true!

Some parents get a child into a school and apparently forget that the responsibility for upbringing and morals still rests with the parent / home ... principles need regular reinforcement, still working out the magic formula but that's another topic in itself!!
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Has your son/s finished Eton yet? I honestly have no idea how I will make the decision other than I will have always wondered what it would have been like to send my boys to Eton if they do not go, and I think I'm less likely to feel that way about any other school. I don't know if that's the good enough reason though! :roll: :?
Peace

Post by Peace »

One there, just done his GCSE's and another starting this September, both very happy, couldn't be happier, but would probably been just as happy at Harrow. Both felt Winchester was too ivory tower-ish for them, but I liked Winchester, found it very civilised, have a nephew there who really likes it.

If kids are happy, they do well, but just as important that you feel comfortable with your choices for your boys too.

Self-confidence will make for a better experience so there's no pressure to keep up with the Jones' if you know what I mean...
melinda

Post by melinda »

Tipsy, reading between the lines I think you've already decided on Eton, you just want someone to push you in that direction! As you say, you'll never know what it's like to have a son at Eton if you don't decide that way.
It is a status thing in the end - I mean what do you think when you hear Eton? You think money (and top hats!!). We all want to be part of that, although a lot of us hate to admit it.

I read the thread on Aldenham from Zorro and would be easily seduced by the drinks and dinner in the lookalike Hogwarts Hall.
solimum

Post by solimum »

melinda wrote:We all want to be part of that, although a lot of us hate to admit it.
Actually I'm not sure that we all do. I wanted my children to be part of a good local school, to which they could walk with their friends (some of them known since nursery), where I could be involved enough to know what is happening, get to all the concerts/ sports days/ plays, make many good friends myself among fellow parents, dash in (hopefully not too often) with the forgotten cookery ingredients or games kit, have my children home in the evenings together with their friends, but where they would also be stimulated and challenged to achieve the best results they are capable of (and not just in exams) without developing too many undesirable characteristics such as arrogance, laziness etc.

I have I know been very fortunate in finding an area to live where these things have been available, but (on the day after DS2 finishes his A Levels) I can't honestly say I wish he'd gone to Eton instead! OK I know this is the independent schools thread but it's worth remembering that although certain expectations/ aspirations may be the norm in some circles, they are not necessarily true for even most people who (for whatever reason) visit this forum, let alone the rest of society!
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

[/quote]

without developing too many undesirable characteristics such as arrogance, laziness etc.

[/quote]

Hi Solimum, I do agree with you that not everyone would want to send there child to Eton, but if it was within walking distance and your son didn't have to board and you were offered a full scholarship, would you send him?

I am sure you did not mean this at all (so pleae don't get cross :wink: ), but in case you did I just wanted to say that I have seen no arrogance in the boys at E or W and as for laziness... they are the most busy and productive schools I have ever seen - no one sits on their laurels there.
melinda

Post by melinda »

solimum,
I totally agree with what you want school-wise for your child, I only meant (and I think I knew I was opening a box of fireworks here) that we all perhaps desire a little taste of the status of Eton.
Would you, if offered a full scholarship for your son, refuse a place? To be honest (although I prefer all the things you mentioned) I wouldn't.

Anyway, Tipsy wants a decision, so I vote Winchester (as I prefer the area!)
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now