what were the pass marks for this year in kent?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

needmoretime

what were the pass marks for this year in kent?

Post by needmoretime »

Hi, just wondering what scores were needed in each test this year to pass (in Kent) my son took the test in Jan 07, and i know the scores changed, infact i think they may have been lower this year, could anyone let me know? as i have a daughter taking her test in september, her cats results were V125, NR119 & Maths 112 and her sats were 5 in reading, 5 in writing and 4a in maths, she will be 11 in november so also wondering if she would be allowed anything on the age as well, any help would be great. I have a feeling her maths is just short of what it should be, but if i can find out the pass marks for each test, it may help me see where i need to go from here! thanks.
One Down

Post by One Down »

Hi,
Pass marks this year were 120 120 115 in any order, coincidentally the same as last year (2007 test). The year before that (Jan 2006 test) they were a little lower, I think 118 118 114. It changes a little from year to year depending on the ability of the cohort taking the test.
Hopes this helps :)
needmoretime

Post by needmoretime »

i was hoping they had lowered a bit, as i am sure someone had said that before, looks like i've a little more work to do with DD.....thank you
One Down

Post by One Down »

These are CAT scores (?). Has your DD done any NFER 11+ practice tests at school yet? My DD has just done a set to check ability for the early 11+, as have a few other schools locally. (Some poor children have done a set of CATs, then practice SATs, optional SATs and a set of NFERs - cruelty!) These would give a better indication of possible 11+ performance, but beware of dubious teacher-standardisation - look at the raw scores too!
Also, the early 11+ must result in the overall passmark being lowered (in terms of raw score required, not necessarily standardised score awarded) as in many schools, children will not have covered all the work required esp. in maths.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

What exactly do you mean by "dubious teacher standardisation"?

The Kent Test scores are standardised, norm referenced so that scores are given in relation to 100. Factors are applied using a statistical formula, so that each childs result is given as relative to others. This is a standard statistical procedure.

Teacher assessment is different.
needmoretime

Post by needmoretime »

hi, yes those were her cats scores, her teacher said she is grammar school potential, infact her sats scores were far better than my DS, who passed with full marks! i am working through nfer papers at home, they don't do these in school at all, she does very well with NV & V her last score in NV worked out at 93% it is just maths, as you say they don't cover all the areas needed in school, and i wonder where to begin with maths, as it is not my strongest subject. I don't want to overdo the practise, just wondered what amount of time we should spend each week on practise, i never had to do any practise with my DS ,but DD although just as bright is not as fast at picking things up....
One Down

Post by One Down »

Yoyo123 - As I said, 'dubious teacher standardisation' referred to teacher-marked practice tests taken in school. Comment was prompted by the fact my daughter was told she could only score max 126 as she was Jan-born and had scored 48/50 -only two wrong. Under this standardisation, older children couldn't pass at all! So a different standardisation method must have been used and raw scores give a better idea of ability in this case.

As we know, the actual tests are marked under strict statistical methods to achieve a true standardisation. This standardisation does not equate to two questions wrong giving a max score of 126. I know this because my daughter missed the last ten questions of her VR paper due to time and still got 140.

Needmoretime - Sounds like DD is doing well-the papers you have been doing should flag up any problem areas to look at in maths. Also the Bond 'How to do 11+ Maths' runs through topics you need to know, with a little test at the beginning of each to see what you do know already.
You may be also interested to read this section of the Judd School prospectus, where they state that an 11+ pass equals approx 50% raw score and 140 equals approx. 75% raw score (it used to give these figures for maths with higher ones for vr and nvr, but now it gives these figures for all three subjects.)
http://www.judd.kent.sch.uk/Documents/P ... 202008.pdf - under ''The Kent Tests -Info For Parents'' section on Pg 10
It does make it seem a little less pressured, doesn't it? Hope this is useful :)
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

I am waiting for confirmation on the pass mark (standardised) from KCC, will let you know
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

Just had a reply from KCC.

[i]The pass marks are set every year. We do not know the pass mark for the coming year's test.
[/i]
One Down

Post by One Down »

They can't know the passmark until the tests have been taken as it depends on the individual scores of the cohort. That's why it moves up and down a little.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now