RGS

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
dyslexichelpneeded

RGS

Post by dyslexichelpneeded »

I've been trying to arrange a visit to RGS during a school day.

A phone call to admissions/admin there produced the response 'we don't do private tours' (and despite pushing on my part, they wouldn't give.)

A conversation with a department head there later produced the response 'I'm sure we do'.

A further email to admin produced the response 'I have attached details of our forthcoming open evenings/events, unfortunately we are unable to accommodate individual appointments at this time,' even though I had stated that we'd done the evening tour, and specifically wanted to see the school during the day.

I've copied the format of the administrator's email ID and guessed at the head's email address (can anyone PM me his correct email address?). I've emailed him directly (I hope!) requesting a tour with a student, perhaps with other parents who can't attend the evening tour (there must be some!), and it hasn't pinged back to me, so it's gone somewhere! But no response as yet.

Is it me, or is this arrogance on the part of the school to assume that all parents should be satisfied with the artificial evening events?

Since we have a choice between John Hampden and RGS, I want to make an educated decision on what to put first on the application form. Can anyone with current or recent experience of the two schools enlighten me as to the differences between the two? I have two friends who have each had bad bullying experiences - one at JH, one at RGS - and in neither case was it satisfactorily dealt with.

Any info gratefully received!
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

This comes from the headmaster's message on the school website:

"If this ethos appeals to you and your son, then the RGS would be the right place. I look forward to meeting you."

I suggest you take him at his word - how about a good old-fashioned letter by snail mail, addressed to the headmaster? It'll only take a day longer, won't get "lost" and you should at least get a response. Perhaps you'll be treated more favourably if you ask to be shown around after the main exam season is over - come to think of it, that might explain why nobody is willing to entertain your request at the moment!

I would find it hard to believe that any school that values its reputation would not be willing to show prospective parents and students around during a normal school day - perhaps you just got through to the wrong person who was having a bad day? :?

Sorry I can't offer any advice or opinions on the schools themselves.
Marylou
dyslexichelpneeded

Post by dyslexichelpneeded »

I like your find on the website! I'm beginning to have difficulty with the ethos of a school that won't talk to prospective parents.

I did quite specifically ask for 'dates to suit' them - and as I've now had the same answer twice I don't think it was just a bad day!

I'm going to be away for a few days, so if I haven't had a response to my email by the time I get back, I'll follow through with snail mail.

Thanks for the thoughts.
Road Runner

Mel x

Post by Road Runner »

Hi Dys

Why not try JHG then. Perhaps they will accomodate you and you'll love the school. Well my son does.

On a personal note we didn't chose RGS because we found it rather pretentious

Mel
Old Armachian

Post by Old Armachian »

Last September we went to the open evenings of RGS (marginally out of catchment) as well as JHGS and SWBGS (both in catchment). Personally felt that only SWBGS showed any pretentions focussing on its performing arts strength whilst both the others showed a real comprehension of how to develop boys/young men.

Both the boys schools I felt had a genuine concern for the pastoral care of their pupils and both Heads encouraged potential parents to get to know the day-to-day atmosphere of their school. And, if memory serves, both schools extended an invitation to "tour" during the working day. We didn't (shame on us) but I certainly feel that the offer was made then so if it is not now a possibility I could only assume this is (a) a factor of the exam season (hopefully) or (b) cynical recognition that the majority of places for 2008 entry have been allocated and accepted and therefore they no longer need to "win your custom" (I hope its not the latter).
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

We are talking about 2009 entry though!

I cannot see the issue with a school not having a regular weekly opportunity to go around whatever the time of year. You just avoid exam areas and explain ...

Schools do vary enormously and it is important to find out which would suit your child best - assuming that you have a choice of several GS - and some parts of Bucks do not.
Lynsey

Post by Lynsey »

I think that the idea that school not showing around prospective parents because of pressures at exam time is a red herring! I missed the planned evening events at my local GS, and when I telephoned the SAME week to explain that I could not attend due to a very good reason and to ask if I could visit ANY other time, I, too, was told by the secretary that this was simply not possible!

I was absolutely amazed. I questioned how I was to assess how appropriate was the school for my son and she snapped back that she would send me a brochure. :?

My belief is that because this was a school which is so heavily over subscribed they can afford to be very dismissive with their 'customers'. I decided not to send my son there, even though the school is within walking distance. I shall instead send him to a school a short bus ride away, but will suit him (and me!!) much better.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now