Life's a beach

Eleven Plus (11+) in Devon

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Fatandfifty

Life's a beach

Post by Fatandfifty »

Hi all (aka Surfwidow)

Received my son's 11+ results two weeks ago and he's in! Over the moon - all three are at the Grammar School and life's sweet. One tiny problem on the horizon, in the next 18 months we have to move back to Exeter and find a good comp within the city for my son or try for a scholarship or sports scholarship at Blundells, Tiverton. My daughters will go onto the College of FE Any feedback.
Katie

Post by Katie »

Hi,

Just wanted to say hello, as I suspect that I may be the only person with a computer in Devon! Only joking, but we are a bit depleted in numbers here.

Have you thought about Colyton for your son? :) - and congratulations to him for his success. Failing that - Torbay has a good F.E.C. and more choice of grammars.
Fatandfifty

Post by Fatandfifty »

Hi Katie

I guess we are technophobic in Devon or not that switched on about the education system. Thanks for your advice - I did think about Colyton for my son as his best friend will be going there in September but I feel its a horrid bus journey to Colyton everyday and very much a long day if you intend to do sports after school, which I know my son will do!! Along with the hours of homework that they have to do there, as its so very pressurised I'm afraid I don't think it will be an option.

Appreciate your advice though. Here's too a long, hot summer with no practice papers for once!!
Katie

Post by Katie »

No practice papers - oh yes, I remember that.

Last year I used the site frequently for the completely invaluable advice.
It's difficult to explain the unique situation to others in parts of the country where appeals are an acceptable part of life and managed more fairly it appears.

I left a post earlier this year to let people know that other people in Devon do have IT skills and computers, but there have just been a couple of us messaging!

Possibly it's a good sign...everyone happy with the allocated school.......or not!
happymum

Post by happymum »

Fatandfifty wrote: Along with the hours of homework that they have to do there, as its so very pressurised I'm afraid I don't think it will be an option.
I'm afraid I have to disagree with your statement about the homework - it is total rubbish that the children have hours of homework. In year 7 they only have 1 hour of homework a night and this raises to no more than 2 hours a night through to year 11.

You may come back to me and say 'but your son hasn't started there yet' however I do know people with children who attend and none of them state there is too much homework.
Fatandfifty

Post by Fatandfifty »

Dear Happymum

Please, please keep me posted when your child starts at Colyton as I would truly like to know if it is that pressurised, as somebody I know has withdrawn their child from the school because of this problem and he's now had to take a year out to get his life back on track! Like I said my friend's son is going in September so no doubt I shall receive feedback from her. This of course is an option for us when we move back to Devon. My daughters are currently at a grammar school along with my son starting in September and I can honestly say I don't see them doing a great deal of homework .... I wish but Colyton is a different kettle of fish!!

Keep in touch.
happymum

Post by happymum »

Fatandfifty wrote: Keep in touch.
Of course and I'm sorry to hear about your friend. :(

:D
creamtea

Post by creamtea »

Hi

Have just come across this thread and have to comment!

I have one son already at Colyton and one due to start in September. Homework at Colyton is designed to make your child organise themselves and be in control of their own learning. The quantities are not too much and your child soon learns not to save it all up for the weekend! I very rarely have to remind my older son to get on with his work, he doesn't seem to find it dull and he still has loads of time for his social life! Result!!

Reading this back I feel I should add that the son in question is not a naturally conscientious soul and would quite happily spend half the day in bed and the other half on a skateboard. All the more credit to Colyton that he willingly does his homework!

I am sure that for some children the organisational skills and the pace and level at which the school works may be too much for them. However, if your child is bright and keen they will have a fantastic time at this school!
Fatandfifty

Post by Fatandfifty »

Hi Creamtea (I love the name, soooo apt!)

Good news about your son being a normal teenage boy (staying in bed and skateboarding) ... I wish your younger son well entering Yr 7. My son is due to start at his grammar school in September and is very much looking forward to moving on. And so am I. I am soooo over primary school, I feel as if I have been there forever - what with three children!

Keep me posted.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now