Appeal results

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
WatfordMum

Appeal results

Post by WatfordMum »

Got our appeal letter this morning for WGSB, unfortunately our son did not get a place, he has a place at Queens which we are very impressed with, we tried at least and have no regrets.
chad

Post by chad »

Sorry to hear your appeal was not upheld... but you have a good backup, i have read good things about Queens and hope your son will flourish there.
watdad

Post by watdad »

Hard luck WatfordMum I take it that means I have a letter waiting for me when I get home….

Queens, whilst not WBGS, is a good school. My Son went last night and is really looking forward to going. In some respect I hope the decision is taken out my hands. Without a doubt I would accept WGSB if successful but I know my Son secretly is hoping our appeal fails.

Can I ask what the grounds of your appeal were? Was it mainly academic or was the school able to offer your Son a subject / need he could not get at his allocated school?

I appreciate nobody likes to discuss this before the appeal but now it has finished I would be interested to know, if you are happy to share?
WatfordMum

Post by WatfordMum »

Thanks for your comments. We went to Queens school last night too and we were very impressed, that we knew we wouldnt be too upset if the outcome for the grammar appeal was unsuccessful.
We appealed on the grounds of high academic ability, achieving 100% in maths exams. At the time of the exam he had been unwell and also emotionally upset because his father was going through serious heatlh issues being in and out of hospital. We also live not too far from the school , within walking distance and going to a school further away would cause strain on the family as his father is awaiting a liver transplant. We also have another comprehensive school on our doorstep, we argued that he couldnt go their because of our experience with our two other sons, we felt the school had let them down.
We are just relieved its all over and we are content with the place he got at Queens.
mumsy

Post by mumsy »

Hi Watfordmum

So sorry that your appeal was not upheld - after reading your reasons it does sometimes seem that appeals are a waste of time as if they didnt offer a place on those grounds what would they offer one for??!! :?

ANyway very best wishes and good luck to your son for september.
WatfordMum

Post by WatfordMum »

Thanks for your support, our thoughts entirely, we really thought we had a good chance, even the headmaster, Mr Post told us we had a really strong case. I suppose we feel a bit sore, especially as our son had a high score. Never mind, we were so impressed with Queens School last night that we dont need so much consoling now! Thanks to Queens!
watmum

Post by watmum »

I just want to echo the thoughts of the other posters Watfordmum..Crikey, sounds like your grounds for appeal were very good ones, and I do hope that your husband's health issues improve (for want of a better word)

I know several kids in Queens and they are all happy and thriving there.
WatfordMum

Post by WatfordMum »

thanks a lot watmum
watdad

Post by watdad »

I think it is very difficult to appeal on the grounds of academic ability in the Watford consortium, hence why I asked and your response supports that’s.

I genuinely believe you need other factors which is why I am not overly hopeful myself.

I am a little surprised that they appear to have overlooked your Husbands health as a reason, however with Westfield’s on your doorstep and the fact you had accepted Queens (being further away) that may have contradicted that need.

I’m pleased you are happy with Queens, fingers crossed to everybody else waiting.
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Hi Watfordmum, just reiterating what everyone else has said and I hope your son enjoys Queens.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now