KIng Edwards Admission Evening

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
ss1

KIng Edwards Admission Evening

Post by ss1 »

I went to the King Edwards Handsworth Admission Evening Yesterday with my DD, I was quite impressed with the headteachers speech. Although I am a little apprehensive for my DD in particular keeping up with the work and also ensuring she fits into the school, she tends to be a little on the shy side and she still cannot fully believe she has been offered a place at this school. I would be interested to know the views of parents who were at the evening and of any other parents whose DD have recently been through a similar transition.
Jacknicmeg

Post by Jacknicmeg »

Unfortunately my son wasn’t accepted into Aston and failed on appeal but - be assured your daughter has nothing to worry about.

You are very, very luck for this, trust me, she is in the best hands! Let me make a bet with you, come back and read this post two weeks in, I bet you will wonder what all the fuss was about!

Lucky thing!
:D
abcdef

Post by abcdef »

Hi ss1

Please rest assured, my son started at Aston last September and he says there are a whole range of abilities in his class. Not everyone who gets into grammar is a high flying academic. He felt at home at the school within days so I'm sure your daughter will feel the same.
All the best to her - I'm sure she will enjoy the transfer day on Wednesday.
ss1

Post by ss1 »

Thanks for your comments put my mind at rest a little as you have said she is in a very fortunate position and I'm sure she will do fine.
Kegs Mom 3

Post by Kegs Mom 3 »

My DD is just reaching the end of Year 8, she absolutely loves this school, has a lovely circle of friends, all very similar to herself.
After witnessing a few marks to recent tests that made me wince and my eyes water,(!) I was a little concerned!
Thanks to reassurance from several posters, ( thank you to fm and all those who responded!) I decided to put my trust in my DD and the teaching of the school.
She has had the majority of the end of year exam results, and thankfully, she has managed excellent results, she has surprised even herself!
Your DD has done wonderfully well to gain entry, please allow her and yourself to enjoy! :lol:
bratz510

King Edwards Admission Evening

Post by bratz510 »

I also went to the admissions evening with my daughter and was also impressed by the heads speech, my daughter is very excited and tells me daily how much she is looking forward to starting at the school. My daugher will be starting with 6 other girls that she knows, 4 from school and 2 acquaintaces.

Everybody seemed very nice and will possibly have similar feelings to your daughter, but i think give it a week and she will have a full list of new friends. : :D :D
jah

Post by jah »

Hi

My daughter has just finished year 11. She loves the school and wants to stay there for years 12 and 13.

The main thing is not to let your daughter sweep things under the carpet if she has any problems. It will be up to her to talk to the teachers and ask for help if necessary; understanding that this may mean that she needs to find them at lunchtime or whatever. Not immediately at the end of the lesson, as she and they will have other lessons to go to!! In GCSE years, they set up mentoring sessions for girls to support them in their weaker subjects, and it is important to take these up if they are offered.

The school seems to give out lots of sheets, but nothing to file them in. Important to get in habit of sticking these into exercise books on the day they are handed out. Pritt stick in pencil case. I have told my daughter many times to write her name and the date on each piece of paper as it is given to her. If more than one in a lesson, then number them too, to keep them in the right order. She still hasn't learnt,, and the paper keeps piling up!

My daughter tended to keep everything at home; so I bought a box file and a ring binder for each subject. Also a concertina file for random bits of paper, in an effort to keep the paper chase under control. Best stay on top of this one, from Day 1!!

School will expect you to check each day that homework is done and note this in homework diary. Then check that homework has actually been packed in bag. We used a pocket folder for completed homework to try to make sure it got into school. There is a system of yellow slips for missing homework; 3 yellow slips means a letter home. 3 letters=detention. My daughter has had several slips over the years when she has done homework, but left it at home. Even on occasions, it has been in her bag but she couldn't find it!!

Detentions rarely result, as you have to be going some to get 9 yellow slips.
lottie

Post by lottie »

Thanks Jah for all the 'Handy Hints' - we'll definitely be using them, infact i've just added 'different coloured' folders on my TO Buy List.

Good Luck to your DD with her GCSEs.

Lottie
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now