School uniform prices!!!

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

What will you do about uniform?

Pay out for all brand new items which fit perfectly now?
44%
Buy as many secondhand items that you can find?
31%
Buy it so ridiculously large that it fits him/her until aged 18?!
25%
Refuse to buy it and campaign for cheaper uniform (!!)
No votes

Total votes: 32

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Ed's mum

School uniform prices!!!

Post by Ed's mum »

Argh...we went yesterday to buy Ed's school uniform. OMG!!!! We have not bought all of it yet (and some we HAVE bought was second hand) and we have already paid hundreds of pounds!!
In all honesty though, we paid with smiles on our faces because he achieved what he wanted to achieve with regards to school entry, and we will support him in any way we can. BUT, why does it have to be quite so expensive?
laid back son worried mum

Post by laid back son worried mum »

buy as many second hand items as po55ible BUT

a brand new blazer and tie wi11 make Master Ed feel great and proud to be at his school.

Items for 2nd hand:
sports attire(tops, shorts) that wi11 only get mucked up very quickly due to frequent washing. good for spares as we11.
jumpers,shirts and trousers that are reasonably fresh-looking as they are partia11y covered by spanking new blazer.

I don't buy shoes 2nd hand because feet are unique and old trainers, boots and gym shoes can hold mould spores etc etc due to insufficient airing /cleaning by previous careful owners.

There is always a po55ibility that things wi11 get lost/misplaced in the first term due to the 'rushing' around when getting used to a new place so if you lose a 2nd hand item, it is not as painful as losing a brand new, worn only for 2 weeks item.

The blazer usua11y holds phone, keys, money, lunch card so it's le55 likely to be forgotten or left behind and you only take it off during games/P.E/ DT.
Blazer can be a size up. Turn cuffs up and stitch lighly to prevent permanent creases developing and it can be let down next year.
If you and needles don't get along, buy the right size. After yr 8 , the novelty has worn off and the blazer gets taken out for lunch time and breaktime mini-footie airing and looks 3rd and 4th hand!!

what other bits have you got to purchase?
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

We have bought (secondhand) a long wool coat - very smart and a quarter of the price if bought new!
Also (secondhand) rugby shorts.

New - Rugby shirt, sports socks (1 pair), jacket (darling mama is going to reimburse us for this!), 3 shirts (the other 2 will be cheap imitations!) currently one jumper, house tie, sports bag.

Still need a different pair of sports shorts (not sure what they call them), more shirts, mouth guard, shoes (much nearer the time), sports shoes (not very au fait with what all the sports gear is called!), more jumpers.

We would have bought many more items secondhand but generally the shop is only open for approx one hour each week and only on a Tuesday and I can never get there due to staff meetings. Also, they haven't had many boys' items in yet...

(would you be interested in a 2nd hand robust washing machine that can handle copious amounts of mud brought home from school's magnificent playing fields that wi11 have a fu11 summer's rain deliciously dumped on it in time for the new school year?)

non marking indoor gym shoes
outside trainers
cricket shoes with suitable sole
rugby boots
athletic /running shoes for cro55 country
plimso11s

as you can see, I have a very large under the stairs shoe closet. :lol:

forgot the footba11 boots for the occasional charity footie tournaments.
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

I have to say that I really enjoyed the blazer buying and the long coat etc etc, but as soon as we started looking at sports kit I lost the will! There was a lovely, comfortable sofa and I made use of it. DD and I suddenly became rather tired!

enjoy it while you can...

the washing is worse than the buying.

It wi11 make Glastonbury look a doddle.

Kiddos and I talk frequently of making mi11ions if they somehow can invent a material that can repel blood, sweat, tears and mud succe55fu11y.

A11 mothers wi11 buy the product ...

The market wi11 be always there for such an formula;
as long as there is sports, there wi11 always be washing.

(excuse me while I go and patent the 'idea')
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Hi Ed's mum - I feel for you so much! :(

This is what I would do although I believe it may be a bit late now for some of it. All P.E. kit and games kit I would buy second hand as it gets trashed and no one cares what it looks like. Because the vast majority of children start at 13 at Rugby (I think that's right), I would buy second hand uniform to last him for two years as his 11+ peers may not be as loaded if they've come from state schools, and therefore not be as materialistic. Maybe then you can keep an eye out for good condition second hand items over the course of the next two years, or buy some new key pieces for 13+. My son wears a tweed jacket :roll: and I have bought a cheap second hand one for when he grows out of this one, as it may not be available when he needs a new one.

Because of your scholarship, is it possible to get help with the uniform costs? What about your sisters children, maybe they can give you a feel for whether or not the kids at school care.

I have just bought all of my youngests second hand because he is a boarder and it doesn't get treated well by child or staff. It came to £33 for the entire lot, but I think that was exceptional!

In the end it all comes down to condition, and if it looks good, then buy it second hand. :)
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

My sister in law advised us to buy as much as possible secondhand. To not buy the shirts from the supplier and to not buy the winter coat as it rarely gets worn...so we pretty much went against all of that advice!
The reason we have done things slightly differently are as follows -

* There was not much secondhand uniform there for boys.
* He takes after me and is short, giving much less choice (given that most start at 13+, there was not much on offer for a short 11 year old!)
* We are so proud of him that we wanted him to have some new items.
* Rightly or wrongly, because we are having major help with the fees and have come from a state school in the first place, we wanted Ed to feel good about the clothes he will be wearing every day.
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

£33 Tipsy???? The coat cost more than that!
What a bargain. Well done you!!!
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

This is one of the 'hidden' drawbacks of an Independent school!

I really don't know why their uniform has to be about five times the cost of our local GS :lol:

Pupils do not look any smarter in it ....
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now