Taster Day

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Burneth

Taster Day

Post by Burneth »

Oh well, it's official - our children are growing up!

Took DS to his new school for the taster day this morning....and he couldn't wait for me to go - not even a backward glance when he went into the hall :( :(

I am obviously no longer trendy or cool to be around....it's the beginning of the end!

Really hope all the children are enjoying their time at their new schools today..time is dragging in my house this morning!
[img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;51;459/st/20080902/e/DS%27s+1st+day+at+senior/k/f5bf/event.png[/img]

PS I am Burneth and I am a lady....!
gloucestermum

Post by gloucestermum »

DS got picked up by a friends' dad so they could go in together-and is off to tea there after so I will not get my update until late!
He was a bit quiet this morning-didn't scoff breakfast like normal-good job I have given him extra money for snacks at breaktime.He is hoping that one of the 5 boys from his school will be in his form!

GM.
dayn

Post by dayn »

Dropped my daughter off at her allocated school this morning, without being 100% sure she is actually going there!! we are still waiting to hear the outcome of our appeal- we were told it would be the beginning of this week, but it has dragged on.
Also will have to go to parents evening tonight and buy school uniform and pay for a residential trip for next year!
I think the whole thing is unfair and the schools should have let people know by know.
sem

Post by sem »

Also will have to go to parents evening tonight and buy school uniform and pay for a residential trip for next year!

I was just wondering is this at the allocated school or the school you are appealing for? What happens if you order the uniform and pay for the trip and your DD doesn't go there?

I sympathise with your situation, I too am still waiting for the result of my DD's appeal.....nerve racking to say the least isn't it?! :(
Burneth

Post by Burneth »

The situation is shocking - can't believe they have allowed this to happen....this taster day is meant to make the children more familar and comfortable about their move and in the cases where appeal results are awaited still, it is just making the whole experience awful for them!

I am very sorry for your situation.
[img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;51;459/st/20080902/e/DS%27s+1st+day+at+senior/k/f5bf/event.png[/img]

dayn

Post by dayn »

It is uniform for allocated school. I think I will explain the situation and see if I will be able to get a refund if successful appeal. As for the trip I really dont know what to do, as it clearly states on the letter it is non- refundable.
The chances are, we wont get through on appeal, but until we receive the letter we can never be sure.
Feel sorry for all the kids in the same situation
Dayn
sem

Post by sem »

I really hope lessons are learned this year and they will not be repeated for those having to appeal next year.

There were a lot of pupils visiting their allocated schools today not knowing if this was going to be the school they will actually be attending come September. It really has been handled badly. :x

My DD went to her allocated school today and was more nervous due to the fact that she may or may not be there when the new school year starts.

I just told her to go and enjoy it and make new friends, regardless. I can't wait for her to come home and tell me all about it. It's a lot for an 11 year old to cope with.

Good luck to all those waiting to hear.....please come on here and post the results.....good or bad. :? [/u]
Burneth

Post by Burneth »

sem wrote:Good luck to all those waiting to hear.....please come on here and post the results.....good or bad. :?
Oh yes, those words echoed from me too - don't forget we are here to support everybody.

The wait is nearly over - hang in there!

gloucestermum

Post by gloucestermum »

The appeals situation this year seems totally unreasonable-I wonder if this has been the case in previous years?
Perhaps the situation should be brought to the attention of the "powers that be" higher up-letters to councillors,MP-just a thought.

DS is not yet home-I cannot wait for all the taster day news!

GM
Burneth

Post by Burneth »

Taster day appears to have gone well at DS's school....he now knows what "house" he will be in plus who he will be spending his first year with!

DS also said that the school said they will be having all their lessons within their tutor group for the first year, and then after that they will be separated into "sets".

I hope everybody else's DC enjoyed their days at their new schools.

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now