statistics

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi WP

THat is very valuable information, so thank you for posting it. Well done also for cracking the "Code" feature to post the tables, as it is a bit of a nightmare to use!

I will ask the Site Programmers if they can possibly convert this thread to a "Sticky" so that it remains at the top of the Herts section in future.

Best wishes
Sally-Anne
toony

statistics

Post by toony »

That is very useful information for people in the future. Thank you, it must have taken you some time to collect that.

I wonder if we might also be able to add:

the necessary score in the aural test in order to be recalled for audition (I might be able to get the data for Parmiter's and Ricky.

the number of children admitted on appeal for each of the schools (I might also be able to provide some of that data).

It is interesting (for me anyway) to note that my son missed the Queens' cut off by only 1 mark and yet was 32nd on the list!
WP

Re: statistics

Post by WP »

toony wrote:That is very useful information for people in the future. Thank you, it must have taken you some time to collect that.
Thanks. It's not over yet, but the next phase will be a bit slower.
toony wrote:I wonder if we might also be able to add:

the necessary score in the aural test in order to be recalled for audition (I might be able to get the data for Parmiter's and Ricky.

the number of children admitted on appeal for each of the schools (I might also be able to provide some of that data).
I think that the cutoff score on the aural test is common to all schools, so there wouldn't be anything to compare.

Two of the schools included numbers admitted by appeal, though I asked only for the overscription criteria:
  • Parmiter's: 2 in each of the last three years.
  • Queens': 2 in 2006, none in 2005 and 2007.
toony wrote:It is interesting (for me anyway) to note that my son missed the Queens' cut off by only 1 mark and yet was 32nd on the list!
This may be explained by the figures above: the Queens' cutoff is within the "hump" of the bell curve.
toony

more data

Post by toony »

The data I was given said that the cut-off point for the aural test was different for Parmiter's (44) and Ricky (42) this year.

There was one successful appeal for Parmiter's this year.

The figures for appeal are very low for appeals at Queens' aren't they - especially when you consider their indication admission number is 19 higher than their published admission number.

This document contains data on appeals:

http://www.hertsdirect.org/infobase/doc ... sr0607.pdf
WP

Re: more data

Post by WP »

toony wrote:The figures for appeal are very low for appeals at Queens' aren't they - especially when you consider their indication admission number is 19 higher than their published admission number.
I suspect that you nailed it when you said appeals in this area were only succeeding on the grounds of maladministration or severe medical circumstances. That might also explain why some schools have to allow more appeals than others.
pollyanna

admissions sticky herts consortium

Post by pollyanna »

this is a great piece of information thanks WP. I apologise in advance if there is a really obvious reply to this but can someone just explain why there are two sets of figures for distance in 2007(shown as Mar and Sep) and earlier years? Should they be added together to get a true comparison figure for 2008?Also,as Rickmansworth have been unhelpful in supplying data where did you get the distances data for that school? Thanks
WP

Re: admissions sticky herts consortium

Post by WP »

pollyanna wrote:this is a great piece of information thanks WP. I apologise in advance if there is a really obvious reply to this but can someone just explain why there are two sets of figures for distance in 2007(shown as Mar and Sep) and earlier years? Should they be added together to get a true comparison figure for 2008?Also,as Rickmansworth have been unhelpful in supplying data where did you get the distances data for that school? Thanks
The reason for the two sets of figures is that as they work down the waiting lists they make offers to children further away from the school (or with lower scores in the case of the academic lists).

Rickmansworth agreed to supply approximate distance data (after some negotiation), but claim the scores are private information protected by the Data Protection Act. I complained to the Information Commissioner's Office in early July, but it seems they have a large backlog.
Giulio

Post by Giulio »

nice job WP, how would I go to do the same in my area?
what sources did you use?
WP

Post by WP »

Giulio wrote:nice job WP, how would I go to do the same in my area?
what sources did you use?
I wrote to the schools requesting specific items under the Freedom of Information Act. But check whether the data you want is already published.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now