Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Glos_Mum

Post by Glos_Mum »

Last edited by Glos_Mum on Sat Aug 22, 2015 1:57 am, edited 3 times in total.
stevew61

Post by stevew61 »

Hi Glos_Mum,
it can take him until 10.30+ to get to sleep (I do now, let him read for a couple of hours because he used to lie there talking to himself instead).
Two hours reading brilliant. :)

Big opportunity their to do some tutoring? Maybe he is a night owl? :)

My DS2 has/had a similar problem, information processing, takes in all information and then has to think about it, which most people
do in their sleep. First words in the morning can be a continuation of last conversation at night. :evil:

Ideas :idea: Physical excersise before study, changing body clock wake DS up early this time of year with the longer hours of daylight can be hard, good luck. :)

steve
hari

Post by hari »

I can identify SO MUCH with your post.

Timing remained an issue for us all the way through the 11+ malarkey. Needless to say the 1st paper she didn't finish 15 q's. She still passed but I was convinced she's failed not due to lack of ability but speed.

I so wish I could say do this or that but we are still trying to find a way through.....aargh :roll:

She had to complete a biography in her yr6 work around Easter and she titled it..' Dolly Day Dreemz' Hmmmph.
dyslexichelpneeded

Post by dyslexichelpneeded »

Might be worth a look at this website:

http://www.inpp.org.uk/

and this page of it:

http://www.inpp.org.uk/questions/index.php
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi Glos Mum

I also identify with your post. :lol:

DS1 is very much the same as your son, and I feel that it tends to be "a boy thing". (He does eat twice as fast as the rest of us, but that's his only speed task!) It seems to be daydreaming, but I also think that the link from dyslexichelpneeded could be a useful reference.

For the immediate tutoring problem I recommend old-fashioned bribery. Not "if you pass you will get ...", but perhaps a points system to encourage him to focus during his tutoring and practice sessions. Along the lines of:

"If I feel/the tutor feels that you are doing your best to apply yourself, you will earn up to 10 points. If you earn X points between now and a week/month/6 months down the line you will earn a (named prize)."

I find that when DS1 is forced to focus on the world around him by either bribery or sanctions, it is amazing how much he raises his game for the required time span.

Of course, normal service resumes immediately afterwards! :roll:

Good luck!

Sally-Anne
Glos_Mum

Post by Glos_Mum »

Last edited by Glos_Mum on Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi GM

Yes, I get to the same place as you on that questionnaire, but I didn't want to pre-judge it for you. DS1 has the odd blip in his background/skills, but there is nothing to get a grip on.

I wouldn't put too much faith in the DS Brain-Training. I bought it on a whim, but it hasn't captivated either of my two "DS's", even though DS2 loves puzzles. Also, it is another wretched daily task that you probably don't need right now.

It looks to me like bribery may be the way forward ...!

One other idea that works for us is to help him get a better sense of time by giving him regular tasks to do with a deadline - "make your bed, tidy your room, sort your school books, all in 10 minutes".

More bribes (or sanctions) needed there to start with!

S-A
perplexed

Post by perplexed »

This might be a silly idea, but if both brothers find it fun, it could be productive.

Find some test papers (e.g. Bond assessment papers) which have content suited to younger brother (here's hoping little brother is of school age!!).

Get them to race one another to complete a paper; record the time taken for each paper on a bar chart for each brother so they can both see their pace improve. Even if he does not beat little brother ( and hopefully he will!!) he should see his personal best improve.

Can you introduce races between the brothers on other daily tasks and give rewards for each 10 wins or something? Or is he not really interested in speed, winning at all?

If he really is much slower than little bro on almost everything, you'll have to rack your brains to think of something where he does have a chance of winning and start with that so as not to humiliate him from the start.

Good luck.

PS. Try taking the meal away when the the last person other than him has finished. Or try last person to finish has to do all the clearing up.
reddebs

Post by reddebs »

My tip would be to break the process into smaller chunks and set a time for the activity. Get home a minute alarm clock timer thingy and set it for small tasks eg 5 mins to get dressed, 3 mins to clean teeth. 10 minutes to answer 10 questions. If he can set and control it himself then all the better for him to be in charge. Small rewards for meeting the targets would pay dividends as well.
Word of caution though re exam completion. Less but accurate is better than more and all wrong so make sure the balance is right.
GOOD LUCK
red_debs
Glos_Mum

Post by Glos_Mum »

Last edited by Glos_Mum on Sat Aug 22, 2015 1:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now