Anyone tried...???

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Ed's mum

Anyone tried...???

Post by Ed's mum »

Not sure whether I am allowed to mention them - do not want to appear to be advertising...
Anyone tried the seemingly new craze of cup-like things which you place on top of each other really quickly...??
Supposed to be good for all sorts of activities as uses both sides of the brain. Therefore, they develop hand/eye co-ordination, ambidexterity, quickness and concentration skills.

Anyone with any experience of them, or any opinion at all, pls let me know what you think. My children have come home with a form to fill in if I wish to buy them...
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

Can I name them Mods, or post a link...?
Just desperate to find out if they are a waste of money!!
I have a feeling they could be useful as a different type of preparation for the 11+ as a sort of confidence building, speed type exercise. DH teasing daughter that he is going into the kitchen to make some now!
toony

sp**d stack***

Post by toony »

We had an outbreak of those at my school a couple of years ago. Personally I could not see it as a sport, which it was being promoted as.

They seemed to me to be very overpriced plastic cups! Why not go to IKEA and pick up some children's cups and use those instead?

As you can tell I am not a fan. :D
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

Thank you for your honest advice :mrgreen:
Greta2

Post by Greta2 »

I too would be interested to see what others think of these - my youngest wants to spend his birthday money on these. I think that they are probably quite good for control and co-ordination practice. They do seem to vary in price though.
My instinct is that, as crazes go these, these are no worse than most!
stevew61

Post by stevew61 »

Looks like fun. :)

You get what you pay for, typical multi-level marketing including its own world record authority.

Rubik cube might be more challenging.

A way around sharing information that may be considered as blatant advertising is to hint at something that can be googled, but I didn't say that. :lol:

steve
laid back son worried mum

Post by laid back son worried mum »

we bought the sma11est pack available and they were quite fun to do and is a bit of a time fi11er..whilst waiting for dinner to be done etc. They got put away during exam prep but the kiddos loved them!!

I didn't consider it a waste of money.Plastic cups from Ik*a are not the same.These are very smooth and light and friction-free and slide in easily into one another. You can only pick up speed with these, so obviously designed simply but we11.

I tried with plastic drinking cups(disposable) and they flew a11 over the place because they were not 'weighted' enough. :roll:

Edit: Forgot to say they have been around for a long time but the promotion seems to be to targetting junior schools. Both kiddos had this offer in their Year 6 through school and I haven't seen it advertised anywhere else.
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

Okay, thanks Steve...here's the hint...
Google 2 words, the first refers to 'fast' which is a 5 letter word beginning with 's' and the second word is the verb beginning with 's' which refers to placing things on top of each other...that okay??

:mrgreen:
moose

Post by moose »

We had an outbreak of those at my school a couple of years ago. Personally I could not see it as a sport, which it was being promoted as.

They seemed to me to be very overpriced plastic cups! Why not go to IKEA and pick up some children's cups and use those instead?
Cannot agree any more. If you wnt to improve an eye -hand coordination why not play proper sports like tennis , table tennis , badminton. Your children will get bored of cups very, very soon. It is just slightly more glorified stacking , which our kids used to do when they were about 2 or 3 years old.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

never mind the cups, I've just had fun working out teh clues to teh google hint!!

starve stand is teh WRONG answer!!

wrong homonym for fast!!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now