Kings School Chester/Ruthin School Entrance exams

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

hogwarts

Kings School Chester/Ruthin School Entrance exams

Post by hogwarts »

Hello. I'm new here and think this site is brilliant - just what I was looking for. I would like to know if anyone has any information about the afore-mentioned schools entrance exams? My son currently attends state school and I am entering him for a scholarship for 2009. There seem to be so many different sorts of papers I am a little confused. (I have downloaded the samples given on the Kings website already).I would like to give him as much help with studying as possible as obviously he hasn't had any experience with these tests. If anyone can give me any tips that I can pass on to him I would be very grateful, thankyou.
zorro

Post by zorro »

my brother's son goes to King's. He is 10 and has just started. I don't think the entrance exams are very difficult - more of a formality. Being good at a sport will help enormously - my nephew is very good at cricket.
hogwarts

Post by hogwarts »

thanks - thats good to know. For him to have a chance though I think he will need to score nearly full marks to receive a bursary. Otherwise unfortunately I cant send him. He hates the usual P.E. at school as they only really do football! But he is academically gifted, especially with science so I am hoping they interview him too and see his potential. Is your nephew happy there?
zorro

Post by zorro »

Yes he loves it - especially the cricket!
good luck!
guest42

Post by guest42 »

My DD is starting at another independent school in the North West and though every school is different I think their principles tend to be similar.

These days scholarships (i.e. non means tested) tend to be limited in fee reduction.

Bursaries (i.e.means tested) tend to only to be available in practice to those who are rated near the top of the exam ranking. If a school can offer bursaries to 25% of its intake it is doing well.

It may be worth looking at music and sports scholarships as I think competition for them tends to be lower and they are more subjective.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now