habs maths past paper 2003

11 Plus Maths – Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

coolmum123

habs maths past paper 2003

Post by coolmum123 »

hi all,

I wonder if someone can help me with the following question please

There is a picture of a donkey tethered to an upright post with a piece of string and the question is as follows:

'A donkey is tethered by a piece of rope to an upright post , in the middle of a large field. Name the mathematical shape of the patch of grass in which the donkey can graze.'

First thoughts are a circle but we think it's too easy an answer and we are missing something!

Thanks in advance

Regards
Coolmum
sj355

Post by sj355 »

No you are not! It refers to a circle. This question has now made at least three appearances in this forum precicely because it is to easy to believe its true!
sj355
coolmum123

Post by coolmum123 »

Thanks SJ355!!

It is a too good to be true question particularly as it was q24 on the paper - these are usually too hard for me too do!! Hence my doubt re my ability to answer so quickly :)

REgards
Coolmum
perplexed

Post by perplexed »

Maybe it should not be as simple as this.

If the tether was tied in such a way that the rope wrapped around the post as the donkey walked around the post (assuming that the donkey will wish always to keep the rope taut, as though trying to escape from the tether), and the donkey ate a very narrow line of grass on each journey around the post, it would create a line of short grass in the shape of a spiral. But it would be a spiral with the middle missing as at some point the donkey will be unable to continue all the way to the centre of the spiral as the rope will be too short.

I don't know the name of this. What were the options in the multiple choice answers?
sj355

Post by sj355 »

If the tether was tied in such a way that the rope wrapped around the post as the donkey walked around the post (assuming that the donkey will wish always to keep the rope taut, as though trying to escape from the tether), and the donkey ate a very narrow line of grass on each journey around the post, it would create a line of short grass in the shape of a spiral. But it would be a spiral with the middle missing as at some point the donkey will be unable to continue all the way to the centre of the spiral as the rope will be too short.
Perplexed,

No wonder you are perplexed. Now I am as well :)
sj355
Dibble

Post by Dibble »

sj355 wrote:No you are not! It refers to a circle. This question has now made at least three appearances in this forum precicely because it is to easy to believe its true!
If the Donkey were tethered with a rigid rod then it can graze a circle. Tethered with a string it can graze a disc.
solimum

donkey

Post by solimum »

Tethered with a string it can graze a disc
...always assuming a mathematically tidy post of infinitesimal diameter....
Dibble

Re: donkey

Post by Dibble »

solimum wrote:
Tethered with a string it can graze a disc
...always assuming a mathematically tidy post of infinitesimal diameter....
... and that the string is long enough to allow the donkey's (teeth | legs) to reach the ground. I'm sure this was made clear in the original question :-)

Circle? disc? annulus? I do wonder which answer is in the marking scheme? I have a horrible feeling it could actually be 'circle', which is clearly wrong.

I hate this type of question when it's combined with mass testing and a rigid marking scheme; where you're tutoring children to 'guess what the examiner wants', even asking the brightest children to 'dumb-down' the level of their answers to suit the test.
fm

Post by fm »

I have used some of these papers for tutoring my students in Birmingham. Where would I find a 2003 paper?
nakabar

Post by nakabar »

Hi

My son also did one of the Habs past Maths paper. Does anyone know if there are answers available please? We have struggled with some and would like some help. Or can I ask here for help?

Thanks
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now