Tutoring

Eleven Plus (11+) in Warwickshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Ed's mum

Tutoring

Post by Ed's mum »

I think I must be naive!!
Having just gone through the selection process with my son this academic year, I was planning on repeating the same process for my daughter (just about to leave year4). We did minimal practising to be honest.
There was no hint from my son's friends or parents of regarding any form of tutoring at all. A few days ago my daughter came home and told me that a lot of her friends already have tutors! It wasn't boasting or any kind of 'psyching out', her friends are lovely, it was just brought up casually in a conversation they were having and discussed briefly.
Now I am wondering whether I maybe just didn't know it was happening with my son's friends because boys are less inclined to 'talk' (!!), or maybe it is due to the different tests being run this year...
Should I now be considering a tutor? I feel so confused now...
Anyone out there started prep yet (on a nearly year 5)?
Charlotte67

Post by Charlotte67 »

Some do, some don't. Many (probably about a third) of my DD's class were tutored. The majority for year 5 only but some from year 3 (!). Some of those tutored were successful, others weren't. Some of those untutored were successful, others weren't. Mind you, not all were tutored in preparation for 11+, some just to improve standard of work.

There seems to have been a huge explosion in tutoring, probably caused by an increasing lack of faith in the education system, particularly with regard to class sizes.

I don't think it necessary to prepare for 11+ this early, but tutoring to improve specfic areas of weakness might be sensible.

Having said that, knowing your DD, please don't waste you money - she doesn't need it!!

My DS on the other hand.... :roll:
Rugbymum

Post by Rugbymum »

The problem is finding a tutor you would find..a couple I know have stopped doing it (probably cos of the new tests).

I am taking over my son's coaching and I am sure with your background you are more than capable of doing this?
Charlotte67

Post by Charlotte67 »

Hi Rugbymum,

Is your DS yr 5? Sorry, terrible memory! Did you have no luck with the number I gave you?

If is yr5 I shall be v interested to hear about this year's tests!
Rugbymum

Post by Rugbymum »

Charlotte67 wrote:Hi Rugbymum,

Is your DS yr 5? Sorry, terrible memory! Did you have no luck with the number I gave you?

If is yr5 I shall be v interested to hear about this year's tests!
Yes he's about to finish Yr 5 - as this year's format is new, I got the impression that the tutor wasn't sure what she should be doing so I decided to do it myself.
Warks mum

Post by Warks mum »

The whole subject of the 11+ was swept under the carpet at my daughter's school. I found out that some of her friends were being tutored because of her casual remarks. But I also found out later that one favoured tutor did not know the system was changing until the practice papers were sent out a few weeks before the test!

I think many children were tutored - and for at least the whole of year 5.

We managed to get away without - as Ed's mum did! Just with a little practice of the papers to get familiar with the questions.
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

Not sure I have the energy to go through all of this again! :mrgreen:
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now