Level 5 a? b? or c?

Key Stages 1-2 and SATs advice

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Demon Pixie

Level 5 a? b? or c?

Post by Demon Pixie »

I'm sure I remember someone posting a link to the QCA site which would enable you to work out whether your child has a high or low level 5 if you can also obtain their raw score from their school. (It may have been Guest 55 or KenR who posted it).

Is it possible to post it again? The only levels threshold tables I can find do not give details of the subdivisions in each level.

Thank you, thank you, thank you :D
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

The subdivsions are NOT official - you just split the level 5 scores into thirds - yes it's that imprecise!

http://www.naa.org.uk/naa_17987.aspx

so in Maths level 5 is 78 to 100 so roughly:

level 5c: 78 to 85
level 5b: 86 to 92
level 5a: 93 to 100
Demon Pixie

Post by Demon Pixie »

Thanks for your speedy response Guest 55! :D
tense

Post by tense »

My DD's school gave me her actual marks so this was easy to work out - just ask at your school & they should easily provide the scores.
melinda

Post by melinda »

hi, my son got his SATs results today, everything was level 5 which is great, but they didn;t give the scores and they didn't say whether it was 5a b or c. Are you saying I can ask for the actual scores??

I want to make sure I can ask as I know that some info is not given out readily by schools.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I was given the papers when my child was in Y6 ....
Bewildered

Post by Bewildered »

melinda wrote:hi, my son got his SATs results today, everything was level 5 which is great, but they didn;t give the scores and they didn't say whether it was 5a b or c. Are you saying I can ask for the actual scores??

I want to make sure I can ask as I know that some info is not given out readily by schools.

Ask, they should give them to you, then just work out the sub levels yourself.

Our teachers actually told us that we should ask for raw scores if we want to know, and they would even tell us what sub level they fell into, as well. (Total first, as they are normally very cagey about any tests!)

Unfortunately haven't got any SAT's results yet. :(
Bougalou

Post by Bougalou »

Hi, yep, DD got all level 5s and we were told that she got the highest score in writing in the school so we asked for the raw scores and got them as well. It's since transpires that the HT was wrong about her being the highest score, as someone in her class got full marks - clever girls but no 11+ passers unfortunately!
So it should be perfectly possible for you to get the scores and then you can work out the levels.
All the best,
bouga
zorro

Post by zorro »

Dear Bougalou,
That's strange - they got level 5's but didn't pass 11 plus.
Surely if you have exceeded the standard for 11 yr olds - you must be at the level of 11 plus?
Bougalou

Post by Bougalou »

Yes have felt terribly let down by the system this year. DD is clearly gifted (or is it talented?) at english but failed the 11+