Y4 maths results same as Y3 - should I be worried?

Key Stages 1-2 and SATs advice

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
earthworm

Y4 maths results same as Y3 - should I be worried?

Post by earthworm »

My daughter got these results in Y3 - 4c (reading), 3c (writing) and 3a (maths). I was obviously a bit worried about the writing, but thought that the reading and maths looked quite good.

However, we have just received her Y4 results which are - 4b (reading), 3a (writing) and 3a (maths).

My main concern is that her maths doesn't appear to have progressed at all. Her teacher has said that there is nothing to worry about, that she will still be in the 'top set' next year, and that she has achieved her Y4 targets (based on Y2 SATs results, rather than last year's results apparently). I felt a bit fobbed off and don't know what to do about it (if anything). Would you be worried?
clarendon

Post by clarendon »

Hi,

I'd be a little concerned and would ask the teacher if it is possible to give an explanation as to why the level has remained static. You could also over the summer target her maths with some extra work... perhaps going over areas the school may have identified as needing further work?

Hope this is helpful.

All the best
pumpkinoune

Re: Y4 maths results same as Y3 - should I be worried?

Post by pumpkinoune »

earthworm wrote:My daughter got these results in Y3 - 4c (reading), 3c (writing) and 3a (maths). I was obviously a bit worried about the writing, but thought that the reading and maths looked quite good.

However, we have just received her Y4 results which are - 4b (reading), 3a (writing) and 3a (maths).

My main concern is that her maths doesn't appear to have progressed at all. Her teacher has said that there is nothing to worry about, that she will still be in the 'top set' next year, and that she has achieved her Y4 targets (based on Y2 SATs results, rather than last year's results apparently). I felt a bit fobbed off and don't know what to do about it (if anything). Would you be worried?
I would not be worried at all, her levels are excellent, she is only in year 3 and has 4b in reading, do no forget that level 4 is the expected level at the end of year 6!!!! and your daughter got it in year 3 where many jids get only a level 3.
KB

Post by KB »

Hi
I would be more concerned about the lack of information from the teacher than the actual results.

The targets should have been reviewed in the light of the performance at the end of year 3 - taking into account test result & teacher assessment.

You need to know if the test result for maths this year is the same as the teacher assessment - it could be your child just had an off day.

If your child is stressed by the test scenario it might be worth trying a few at home over the summer in as relaxed a way as possible to gain confidence.

You could also ask to see the test paper and note down topics where errors were made - then you can do some work on these over the summer (you will also see if there is an issue with 'silly' mistakes / running out of time etc)

Just because your child is working at a high level doesn't mean they shouldn't be making progress
(taking an extreme view - if the whole class failed to make progress in maths this year due to poor teaching then of course your child would still be in the top set!)

From experience of dealing with teachers you need to try to avoid putting them on the defensive but you do need to be firm about getting information if it appears your child is not making good progress.

Dealing with any concerns at an early stage avoids them becoming big issues next year........

If you really can't make any progress with the school then I would purchase some tests and get your child to do them at home so you can make your own assessment & work on any areas of 'weakness' ready for September.

Hope you manage to get the information you need to put your mind at rest :)
earthworm

Post by earthworm »

I really appreciate all of your replies.

I won't be able to speak to the teacher now until next term, but will take on board your suggestion to do a little bit of work with DD over the holidays. Hopefully this will, as you say, help me to identify any areas of weakness prior to further discussion with the teacher in September.

It is great to get unbiased views on this, thank you so much.
DD97

Post by DD97 »

Earthworm, I looked into all of this a while ago when my DD was at the ndo fyear 5. The average for key stage 1 in year 2 is 2B. It is expected that on average children with increase by 3 sub-levels over a two year period - so 3b (is average) by end of year 4. Therefore, your DD is above average, particularly in the subject where she is achieving a level 4 already. 4b is the average for year 6.

DD97
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

But if you are looking towards a GS they should be near level 4 by the end of Y4 -
Ogremum

Post by Ogremum »

my dd was 4b for reading, 4b for lit and 3b for maths
She's just ending Yr 4

Her maths never seems to get better, they indicate to me that its poor, but yet, friends of hers with 3b for maths were told its really good.
However, their lit/reading in much lower.
I am grasping at straws and hoping they are saying it about dd as the rest is high and they therfore see her as potential grammar??

Earthworn, in yr 3 my dd was reading 3b, lit 3c maths 3c
earthworm

Post by earthworm »

Ogremum, your DD has made a fantastic improvement in reading and lit over the past year, you must be proud. And at least the maths has improved somewhat, wish I could say the same...

Our area does not have GS, but I was hoping that DD was in with a shot at the local independent. It is well regarded and I hear that it is also quite selective, so maybe not...

Bought some workbooks yesterday, am now struggling with the guilt of making her do schoolwork in the summer hols :)
KB

Post by KB »

Ogremum -
I think you are right that teachers adjust their expectations according to the child - so they are saying Maths is relatively weak rather than being poor by national standards.
Sometimes children have a leap forward in some subjects & not others, so maths might progress more next year.
If I were in your position I would try to keep maths 'ticking over' during the summer - not putting pressure on but enough to avoid the slippage that is common over the long summer break.
In the course of this you might come across an area or two that your child is having particular issues with & the summer break could allow you time to address these by looking at them from different perspectives / more 'hands on' or fun ways while there is less time pressure from school etc.
Many children are naturally stronger in some subjects than others so if you are still concerned you could think about a tutor for maths for a while to see if this helps increase confidence - I have seen a few weeks of targeted support make a big difference. Its difficult though because you dont want child to think they have problem with maths :)