good dictionary, with CD

Advice on 11 Plus VR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

aotearoa

good dictionary, with CD

Post by aotearoa »

Hi
Can anyone recommend a good English dictionary (preferably with cd ) with synonyms, thesaurus...
Vocabulary is my daughter weakest part!
We've installed Vocabulary Builder CD, very helpful indeed, but definitely need a good dictionary.
Thanks,

Aotearoa

(By mistake I've posted on Buks area...)
Y

Post by Y »

Try a little hand held electronic dictionary. We have the Sharp PW-E500A. We had a different one before (I think it was a Seiko, which eventually died), but this one offers many more words, and is satisfyingly solidly made. It doesn't have any games, but it does have crossword, puzzle and anagram solvers, which are extremely useful. This model is expensive because it includes a "quotations" dictionary - I believe there is another Sharp model without the quotations bit, which is cheaper. If you look at other makes, look for the number of words included in the dictionary. This one had the largest number of words of the (half-reasonably priced) available dictionaries. You want something that will compete with a good quality desk dictionary. I got mine off Amazon, which was the cheapest supplier at the time. I recommended the Sharp to a friend, and she's been delighted with it.
aotearoa

Post by aotearoa »

Thank you, Y
To be honest, I didn't even think to a hend one, even though my daughter preffer to use computer for finding words...She thinks is waisting time to look into a "real" one...is easy to type ...

Aotearoa
JaysDarlin

Post by JaysDarlin »

Dear Y.

Thanks for your recommendation for the Sharp Electronic Dictionary.

I just purchased the PW E300 after reading your post, and I am extremely pleased with it!

Thanks! :D
Y

Post by Y »

Wish I got commission for each recommendation!
woodyrocks

Post by woodyrocks »

Can you recommend a DS 'game' that will serve the same purpose. I have bought the brain training and the scrabble games for DD to improve her wordpower. Her nose is always buried in a book and R4 is always on in the background (!) but there is huge room for improvement.
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

DS Word Coach is reasonable for getting them interested in vocab. I really don't think you can beat the freerice website, kids can't resist the idea of contributing rice.

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... php?t=4129

Note: You need to set options at the lowest level to start them off, otherwise they are going to get demoralised. :shock: