SATS Results

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

MURYAM

SATS Results

Post by MURYAM »

Hi,

I was wondering if you could help me, my son is in year 4, and his teachers assessment was 4c reading,3b writing, 3a for science and 3a for maths. I really feel that he is not doing well enough to get in to a grammer school. This year he has realy slowed down with education and is not doing as well as he was in the previous years.
What can i do to get him further, i already have started to send him to 11+ tuition but he's not improved much.[/b]
jenny
cindy

Post by cindy »

Children at this age can change quickly over a short period of time.

Usually the teacher has a good grasp on your childs chances, it may be
a good idea to speak with them

Good luck

Cindyx
KenR

Post by KenR »

Hi Muryam

It's still early days so don't reject the idea of Grammar school yet. It's often more difficult with boys to get them to focus on academic matters.

A few tips:-

Don't just leave it to the tutor, you need to create the right learning environment in the home as well. Also supplement this with some tutoring yourself - At this age concentrate on Maths and English.

Consider rationing computer games and excessive/inappropriate TV programmes. (But allow them to watch the odd discovery, History or Nat Geographic etc programme)

Try to ensure that there is a routine daily period of study or reading, particularly during the long school holidays. This could be science books for example. Encouraging reading is key. (but not comics!!)

Regards
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

one of the best things you can do is get his mental maths and vocabulary up to speed.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now