Solihull School Exams

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
rose'smum

Solihull School Exams

Post by rose'smum »

My DD currently attends a good state primary school, but unfortunately not in the catchment for a good secondary.
We would like to try for Solihull school - any advice about how to prepare for the secondary entry exam - ?Bond books, is a tutor essential etc?
She is currently in yr 4 and recently got 2 4As and 1 4C in exams. I've also heard parents say that getting a tutor significantly helps towards a scholarship - or is this wrong?
Thanks for your help
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Wow - I'm out of date! Is Solihull school co-ed now? Used to be boys only in my day - mmm well about 40 years ago - then some girls got into the sixth form.
One of the masters there used to coach lots of the kids for the 11 plus then.
The top boys in the 11 plus were offered places paid for by the LEA - I think there were 36 - it was because the LEA was short of a boys grammar - there were 2 boys state grammars and 3 girls. Do you know how many places are they offering now?

re chance of scholarship -using a tutor there will increase familarity with the exam and the papers and also the interview (lots of schools use this partic at scholarship level), this is what the kids in independent schools locally will be practising.
solimum

Solihull school

Post by solimum »

There have been girls in the 6th form for many years (many of them coming in from the 11-16 comps locally and boosting the A level scores) but they started admitting a sprinkling of girls to the rest of the school about three years ago - I'm not sure how far up the school the mixed cohort have got, presumably just about to start Yr 10.

I have little info on scholarships I'm afraid - one friend's son (v. bright but hopeless at organising himself - a nascent "absent-minded professor") got one at 11 (having been in the junior dept, so presumbly well-practised) but her other two children haven't as far as I know: my DS was offered one for 6th form based on a couple of subject-specific exams and an interview for which he did little or no preparation, but chose a KE grammar instead (which suited him better)