Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Glos_Mum

Post by Glos_Mum »

Last edited by Glos_Mum on Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gloucestermum

Post by gloucestermum »

Susan Daughtrey Bright Sparks are good.

Walsh are quite challenging!

GM
11+Mum

Post by 11+Mum »

Hi

Also the new achieve level mathematics practice questions are good my DC

was challenged but got excellent marks on the papers inside :D [/color]
Orson

Post by Orson »

Glos_Mum

Bright Sparks should be tackled during the few weeks before the actual exam AFTER your DS has looked at the Nfer papers.

And what kind of tutor doesn't work during the long summer hols? :shock:
That's a recipe for disaster for some children. :roll:

Orson
Glos_Mum

Post by Glos_Mum »

Last edited by Glos_Mum on Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Orson

Post by Orson »

Glos_Mum

'Ordinary Susan Daughtrey' first, then Nfer, then Bright Sparks - this is the way to go.
Remember though, that much of 'Ordinary Susan Daughtrey' will not appear in the actual test in November. You don't want to be wasting your time on those types.

Orson
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

Hi,

Are the Bright Sparks graded in the way her Graded Tests are in the ordinary series? The reason I ask is that my son has recently done the first Nfer paper and the first S.D Bright Sparks paper but scored far better in the S.D or could this be because we used her 1-4 books for the ground work?

Tolstoy.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

Different people work different ways, the order in which to do things is a whole can of worms!

I like to do an NFER paper to begin with , then find out the weak areas and work on those using a mixture bright sparks, bond, internet, tutors Cds and as much as I can to reinforce the methods. I also spend lots of time on mental maths, synonyms, antonyms etc and of course times tables

i like to think that I have equipped the pupil well for secondary education in general as well as the test. :wink:
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

Going to have to trust to his primary school to do that as with three others to cope with and his insistence, and rightly so I hasten to add, on being out playing most of the time I have very little time to work with him.

Part of the reason I want him in a Grammar school, rightly or wrongly, is so I can trust them to get his education right and I only have to concentrate on trying to make sure he grows into a well balanced adult?? Oh the niavity of it all?

Once this test is over it is feet up for me intil after christmas when I have to start thinking about 11+ 2009 for no 2. Oh well at least I will have had some practice!
Orson

Post by Orson »

Tolstoy

As yoyo123 says, there is no right way to approach the order in which you tackle things.

Your goal has to be looking at all the question types first, establishing which areas need further attention and then focusing on sorting them out. Weak/slow mental maths is often a child's downfall so give that plenty of time and effort, too.

I believe SD's Bright Sparks papers are graded in difficulty in the same way her tests 1-10 are.

I think your child may have performed better in BS 1 than Nfer 1 (11A) because a) for some reason Nfer 1 (11A) is the hardest of the 4 Nfer papers and b) the BS papers contain a lot of examples your child will have encountered when working through SD's technique books 1-4.

Orson
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now