Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Dans mum

scores

Post by Dans mum »

hi
my son is taking his 11plus this sept 2008
he will be 11 3days after the first test. i have looked at the chart on this website for standardised scores and it only goes up to 10years 6months, does any one know if this is when extra points added for age stops?
can anyone give me a idea of the percentage my son would need to get to pass? also does any one in lincolnshire recommend using the bond books or just the nfer packs.

i would be gratefull for any advice xx 8)
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi Dans mum

No, the standardisation process goes right up to 11 years of age, it's just not shown on the example chart on this site.

I have removed your duplicate posts from Medway and "Everything Else", but left the one on Lincolnshire.

Sally-Anne
greatmum

Post by greatmum »

Hi,
I think that your son be the one of the older ones and be at disadvantage in the standardisation. My daughter turned 11 in july and I think had that as an advantage. I am only guessing and could be wrong. Please correct me if I am wrong
perplexed

Post by perplexed »

Well I'm not so sure that I follow the logic of that. The intention of age-related standardisation is to try and even out any advantage of being older / disadvantage of being younger. It is presumably based on a load of data that shows that without this adjustment older children would, on average, get higher scores than younger ones.
clarendon

Post by clarendon »

My understanding of standardisation is that children's scores are compared with others born in the same month.... it would follow then, I guess, that it's best to be born at the start of any given month. This makes it fairer as you are "competing" against children of pretty much the same age.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now