How is summer practise going?

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

fi

How is summer practise going?

Post by fi »

Ds takes the 11+ in Sept and once he's back at school I know he won't have time to practise due to football,rugby, cricket, running club and swimming (wish I was getting all that exercise) so he practised a little at Easter using the tutors cds and has so far done 3 NFER practise papers this summer. The bribery system seems to be working well a point per paper and extra point if he gets over 85%. When he gets 10 points he gets one of the Manga books he loves.
Just wondered how others were getting on and how much you were all doing. I don't really tutor ds, just explain any mistakes to him. He has to do Maths, English, VR . He is definitely not stressed about it in any way, he thinks it's a waste of time practising and would prefer to go into the exam unrehearsed - which just makes me stressed.
Fi
twellsmum

Post by twellsmum »

My DD1 takes the 11+ in September too - we are in Kent. We try to do one ten minute test per day and then twice per week do a full length paper. I also try to do things with her that are not "tests" as such but like times tables practice, Sudoku, going through words for VR (as per download on free downlaods). That's the plan although there are days when we miss a ten minute test. I'm just trying to keep her brain ticking over really. I vary between wanting to let her have a holiday and then panic that we are not doing enough! :0)

TWellsmum
Dans mum

Post by Dans mum »

my son takes his 11plus in sept. we are in lincs so he will take nvr and vr. he has been practiceing through the holidays useing the verbal reasoning technique and practice books by susan daughtrey, nfer, the tutors down load papers from here and bond books. but only use nfer and bond for nvr. two weeks ago he was getting 76% in vr and 81% in nvr, however at the start of this week we seemed to go backwards and his grades went down, we decided to do no more tests for a couple of days to give hm a break and just talk through techniques. on thrusday we downloaded a tutors paper from here for vr and he went through it, he did brilliant and got 89%, he also did a nvr paper on thrusday and friday and got 80% on thrusday and 88% on friday.He is now more confident again i think he just neeeded a break. now i just need to worry if his scores will be good enough to pass as he is a sept birthday. xx
fi

Post by fi »

Ds seems to be getting worse in English which seems to be hit or miss .He completes them in 20 minutes wheras maths and VR take the full 50 minutes. The first English nfer he got 42/49 which I thought was fine but the next one he's gone down to 37/49 and I'm not really sure how to improve it or whether there is any point in practising. He said the passages in the second test weren't interesting so I just have to hope the one on the day appeals to him.
Fi
Glos_Mum

Post by Glos_Mum »

Last edited by Glos_Mum on Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
coolmum123

Post by coolmum123 »

Hi all,

We are hard at it too, DS has a while to go but making the most of the holidays to do extra as once he goes back he won't get much time. He is sitting Grammar schools and Independent Schools, exams start in October and go right through to Jan.
He has to sit all 4 papers in various mixes so we do a bit of each each day. His scores seem to be getting better - my worry is I hope that he doesn't peak too early!!

He seems to be taking it in his stride I am the one that is a gibbering wreck ( not in front of him!!) can't imagine what I'm going to be like when we are in exam season!!

Regards
Coolmum
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now