Transition Units

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Demon Pixie

Transition Units

Post by Demon Pixie »

When my child attended the welcome day at the grammar school she will start in September, the children were asked to hand in "transition units" of work that had been sent to primary schools - presumable to smooth the transition from primary to secondary school.

Her primary school had not handed them out - although we have now received a copy of the English unit from another source.

Did anyone else's child's school give these out and/or get them to complete them at school?

Is there any real benefit to completing these units?

My child is not inclined to do any school work this holiday - something I feel in complete agreement with!
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Yes - all schools were sent pupil booklets for the teachers to use in English, Maths and Science [and Geography I think] after the KS2 tests and copies of teacher resources.

The idea of taking them to the new school on Induction Day was for the teachers to be able to look at what the children had done in July (i.e. before the children join the school). Research has shown such transition work improves progress in Y7 hence why the LA has developed the materials with local teachers.

It is probably not worth the pupils looking at the materials on their own - there are follow-up lessons for Y7 but they don't need pupils to have done the Y6 lessons.

You might like ask your child's ex-Primary why they didn't support this initiative. :lol:
Demon Pixie

Post by Demon Pixie »

Thanks for your speedy reply.
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Demon Pixie

This work is not compulsory, not all primary schools support the initiative, some schools prefer to put on summer term plays....

Patricia
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

No it wasn't compulsory but all schools were strongly recommended to take part.
patricia

Post by patricia »

Guest55 wrote:
It is not surprising that Secondary schools don't trust the KS2 levels if children get no more lessons once the KS2 tests are over.
Guest55 wrote:but it is not good to have no Maths lessons for nearly four months

No more lessons after KS2 tests are over....

Do you really think that no lessons take place from May on wards? Perhaps you should put that in writing to all hard working teachers in primary schools across Bucks and the rest of the country...

All primary schools that I am aware of, keep up with Literacy and Numeracy hour right up till the last week of term. Yes some other lessons are sacrificed....Year6 have had a tough year with the 11 plus, SATs, booster classes, projects, field trips. Some schools prefer to allow year 6 to have 'fun' with an end of school play.

I am not anti transition work, by the way, but mangement decisions have to be followed...

Patricia
Demon Pixie

Post by Demon Pixie »

My child was very pleased to report that there were no "proper lessons" after the SATs, and there was certainly no home learning!

I do think school productions and trips are great educational opportunities and also help to develop those all important social skills - however I do wonder about the effect of 4 months away from more structured education.

Here's hoping the fallow period will result in fertile ground for learning
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Patricia,

Unfortunately it is true in some schools ... lessons in the core are taken less seriously ... I know it is not true in all schools [and I did not say it was by the way] but as a Secondary teacher for a long time I do have plenty of evidence.

I have a very high regard for the vast majority of Primary teachers - they do a fantastic job - you have misinterpreted my comments.

I have PM'd you to ask you to amend your post as I have edited mine in case others misinterpret it.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now