How to prepare 11+ reading school?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Katherine

How to prepare 11+ reading school?

Post by Katherine »

My boy was born on september 1998 and going to sit for the reading school test on nov. 2009. Can some body ,please, give me some idea , about how to make him prepare for the test? Any students studying in Reading school , can also , tell , how the test will be - details , Please!
Please give me the full details my mail

Email address removed by a moderator. Please correspond via the forum or PM[personal message]
katherine
stevew61

Post by stevew61 »

Hi Katherine,

Have a look here and at other threads on Berkshire. Some of the Reading info. pops up on Kendrick threads. :)

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... php?t=6493

November 2008 Reading have dropped the short written piece (essay) which most people are relieved about.

As a quick guide and starting point based on our experience to date, which is still ongoing. :roll:

Verbal Reasoning - You will need a techniques guide, the Tutors provide a free one here, http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/pdf/th ... hnique.pdf or the IPS technique book from the bookshop on this wonderful site. :lol: As you have time I would look at some starter papers IPS S or Tutors short papers or VR Starter CD followed by Tutors full papers.

Non-Verbal Reasoning Have a look at Bond age graded books and the elevenplusexams e-papers and CD Eleven Plus Exams Multiple Choice Practice Questions CD http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/cd/ele ... lume-1.php

English - Bond again, age graded and shorter comprehensions, they are standard format so you will also need to find some multiple choice English

Maths - In recent years has been Reading's own paper and not as hard as some of the available maths papers.

Finally the NFER papers in Maths, English, Verbal and NVR

It looks like a lot but once you get started it all falls into place. By starting early you can reduce the stress and take breaks when required.

Hopefully some other Reading veterans can add to this. :wink:

steve
Bewildered

Post by Bewildered »

Hi Katherine,

Welcome to the forum!!

I'd like to give some advise, but looks like Steve's beaten me to it.
Couldn't add anymore.

If you have any other questions we'll always try our best to help

:D

BW
Katherine

Thanks

Post by Katherine »

Thanks for the detailed reply. I will start from the bond age graded books. My another doubt is -
1)For maths can do the workout in the paper? Is that allowed? Is there any Mental maths?
2)My boy was born on September 1998 ( older in his year) and so how much range should he score in each paper for getting in the merit list?
3) My first choice of school will be Reading school (Of course)- Does anybody have any idea which other school ( BOYS) is good in Reading?
:?:
Bewildered

Post by Bewildered »

There is only one multiple choice maths paper to sit...No, mental maths as well. Looking at 86%+ approximately. Not sure of other Reading only boys schools. Wokingham has a boys only called The Forest. A very good school academically, averaging 67% A-C's at GCSE.

HTH

BW
Katherine

Post by Katherine »

Thankyou Bewildrered
Good information. Then about schools, I want to know good secondary schools - including mixed schools , for my boy. Does anybody have anyidea?
Ella

Post by Ella »

Hi Katherine,

Depending on exactly where you live (and assuming you are looking for a State school, not private), then I can strongly recommend Maiden Erlegh school in Earley where my DS goes and who will be joined by my DD in September having not quite made the pass mark for Kendrick.

There are quite a few other good (and over-subscribed) mixed secondary schools in and around Reading but I don't know enough about them to give an opinion - perhaps someone else could offer more advice?

Hope this helps a bit.
Bewildered

Post by Bewildered »

I would quite agree with Ella. ME, just happens to be the best co-ed school in Wokingham.

The only problem being; you have to live in catchment to gain a place, as it is highly over subscribed.

Have a look on the DFES and Ofsted websites for a look at the best schools in your borough.

:)

BW
Katherine

Good Secondary schools

Post by Katherine »

Thankyou again for the information. I live in west Reading. My first preference will be Reading school. I have no idea which other schools to apply as 2nd and 3rd preference - heard the secondary schools in west reading are not good. I want to know 2 good secondary schools- state run for me to apply for 2nd and 3rd preference.
Thankyou once again
stevew61

Post by stevew61 »

Reading Borough has a problem highlighted in this recent local newspaper article. Many children go out of borough to find better schools and many children come in to the borough for the grammar schools.

http://www.getreading.co.uk/news/educat ... ns_schools

I do not have enough knowledge of west Reading to help. Try and find some one local who has been through the system recently. Get several opinions of what your real achievable options are.

steve
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now