A level results

Discussion and advice on Sixth Form matters

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

KB

A level results

Post by KB »

Remember some months ago a thread that involved others with children doing A level exams this year - can't find it now of course!
Just wondered if anyone else has good news from yesterday?
Although I can't remember your usernames I was thinking about you yesterday :)
melinda

Post by melinda »

I wasn't involved in that thread, but my daughter got great A level results yesterday and she got her chosen university place. Trouble is, tho I am very pleased for her (of course), a very tiny bit of me wishes she would stay at home and stay my little girl.
I know this is totally illogical, but it's how I am and I know I am going to howl when she leaves.
Hope I am not alone.......
surreymum

Post by surreymum »

Congratulations Melinda to you and your DD. Hard to think of them leaving home....
solimum

A levels

Post by solimum »

My son got the results he needed to go to Oxford - as he's my second son to leave for university I'm rather dreading how quiet it will seem with only one DD left at home....
melinda

Post by melinda »

thanks surreymum, yes it is hard and i know the place will be so much quieter without our (very occasional) shouting matches!!! :D
Tom's mum

Post by Tom's mum »

I was on an A level thread earlier this year, may or may not be the one you were following! My son wasn't putting in the work and, sure enough, has underachieved BUT he has got his uni place. So, will he get his act together and put in the work, or will he stack up the debt and then drop out? I guess the only way to find out is to let him go, in both senses of the word. Will really miss him (but not the piles of dirty washing on his bedroom floor!)
melinda

Post by melinda »

Hi Tom's mum, well done to your son, he must have worked reasonably hard to have got his place? - I was also in a quandry about the debt factor, but i guess they don't start paying it back til they start earning, it's just not a nice thing to have hanging over you.
My daughter has no clue as to what she will do at the end of this three year course - then again did I? do any of us at 18?

I am a little fed up at the media telling us that A levels (and GCSEs) are getting easier every year. I'm sure it can't encourage youngsters to continue in education - why bother if it's not seen as the achievement it is?
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Well done to everyone who worked hard and good luck at Uni

I know its not the nicest thing to hear but exams are getting easier

A grades used to only be given to the first 1O% of those sitting exams not all who get 75% and I looked at an A'level Maths test the other day and it was the same difficulty as the GCSE I sat

This does not mean that I think kids aren't working hard but that they are not being stretched as much as they could be and are not fully prepared for uni

I hear so many lecturers saying that the standard of English is so poor and some take two years to get to a good enough standard to write an essay suitable for university entry

*keys still not workingso sorry for no punctuation!
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Tipsy - sorry your post would be very upsetting for anyone who has just sat their A level and done well.

I have taught A level Maths for a long time - yes in my day three grade As at A level was rare but you did not have to get 80% to get an A.

Pupils don't set the papers - I can't believe you really did integration by parts as part of GCSE Maths :lol:

Teaching is much better now, pupils work harder and remember the Government wants 50% of children to go to Uni so of course things are different to when it was 5%. The module structure changed A level for ever - there were always going to be more A grades once you could resit.
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

I did say well done at the start and that I wasn't saying those who posted children's didn't work hard or achieve well :)

I did the GCSE apparent equivalent and I did do integration and calculus amongst other things :shock:

My point was: however well everyone has done I wonder if they have been fully stretched to their capabilities

quoting that many lecturers find the A level not as good preparation for uni nowadays especially as most of the kids on this forum are clearly all very able

These are not just my opinions as Cambridge itself would not be offering a more rigourous qualification if it thought A'levels were satisfactory

But again Isay that regardless of the qualification everyone must be thrilled and proud that this stressful time has al been worthwhile and their children's dreams are working out :)