KS3 books

General forum for Secondary Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Bex mum

KS3 books

Post by Bex mum »

Can anyone recommend any good KS3 books for all subjects. I really liked the CGP study books for KS2 but they don't seem to do them for KS3. It's just so i can help my daughter as she starts at Grammar school.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

CGP do do KS3! and they are just as good

try googling CGP
solimum

KS3 books

Post by solimum »

CGP do actually do a range of KS3 and KS4 books, however I wouldn't rush out and buy anything now. The new school will hopefully have a range of textbooks for the various subjects and might recommend you to buy a few specific items such as foreign language dictionaries etc. They may also have special deals on revision guides they recommend at a later stage for the dreaded SATS (assuming they haven't been scrapped in the next 3 years..). Probably better to wait and see what the school suggests, be prepared to help out with the inevitable "do some research on volcanoes or Martin Luther or Martin Luther King..." when it comes up for homework using existing encyclopedias/ libraries/ intelligent googling. I've always found the various "Horrible Histories" and "Gruesome Geography" "Murderous Maths" etc type books still appeal to secondary ages, or anything else that promotes enjoyable reading round the subject, but there will be plenty of homework without buying extra "helpful" books which may very well remain at the bottom of the pile on the bedroom floor....
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

The CGP books are a little out of date now - although they were excellent there are better things out there now. My child's school recommended certain books and got deals on them.

You can also access past KS3 NC test papers - the tests are already written by QCA for 2009 so they will not disappear quickly.

Also be aware that the KS3 curriculum is changing from September so please be cautious about buying anything at present.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

I didn't realise that about the KS3 cuuriculum Guest55. Is that just maths? or everything?

what sort of changes are they making? This is why i like to keep my hand in by continuing to teach in school as well as tutoring.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

It's everything!

Details here:

http://curriculum.qca.org.uk/

The Mick Waters video is worth watching:

http://curriculum.qca.org.uk/key-stages ... index.aspx

A bit more on what and why:

http://curriculum.qca.org.uk/key-stages ... index.aspx

A review of the Primary curriculum is also underway ...
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

Thanks,

Those links will be useful.
:)
Bex mum

Post by Bex mum »

Thanks everyone for your advice. When i said CGP didn't do KS3 study books i meant like the ones they do for KS2 - they do them for a few subjects but for other subjects they seem to call them revision guides. It's not workbooks i am looking for as i'm sure she will get enough homework and i certainly won't be giving her extra, it's more for imformation if she is stuck on something.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now