Untutored?

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
T.i.p.s.y

Untutored?

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Does anyone know of anyone who passed the 11+ without any tutoring or pre-test examples i.e. absolutely nothing? As my son's at boarding school I will not be able to tutor him and I was wondering what his chances would be. The GS are also letting him sit the exam one year early (November), so I just wondered if the tests can judge aptitude/potential without any prior knowledge/testing?
solimum

Post by solimum »

The daughter of some friends of mine sat and passed the Warwickshire 11+ as a back-up when there was local panic about catchment changes - I believe the only practice she had was the official "practice test" which all candidates sat under similar test conditions. She went to the local comp in the end (and came out with a string of A*), but her mum did comment at the time that it was hard turning down the grammar place even though they hadn't really wanted it!

However I guess it would depend entirely on the competitiveness/ demand for places in your local area
KenR

Post by KenR »

Just about all prep and boarding schools will tutor their pupils in Study Skills classes.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

well I did in 1968, but I guess that is not exactly relevant!!
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

My sons school will not tutor him in this as its a 13+ feeder school to public boarding schools and it only coaches/trains them for these exams. They also have no idea he is sitting it as thye are expecting him to stay there until 12 - which he probably will do unless he passes. I know in some GS areas some private schools specifically say on their website that they don't tutor for 11+ and some do.

When he sat his 7+ scholarship exams I spent a couple of months with him on the bond assessment tests in NVR, VR, English and Maths so I'm sure he'll remember this style although I'm not sure if they are appropriate for Essex.

Solimum - I don't think I'd be brave enough to turn down a grammar school place for a comp regardless of how good it is, but then they clearly have a daughter who doesn't conform to peer pressure - unlike me! :roll:
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Tipsy surely you can practice at half-term and holidays? That should be enough to get him familiar with the types of questions. he can also practice on-line with the demo stuff.
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Because he's at boarding school all our holidays are solely for play and quality time so I wouldn't tutor him anyway. I was just wondering if there were any successful applicants who weren't tutored otherwise there's probably no point putting him in for the exam. :D
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

He can access this site from school though and practice on the demos.

I understand what you say about quality time but surely a few hours a week is not too much to sacrifice.

I know there are bright children who sail through the 11+ but the tests are not about ability - VR can be taught and some very bright children just don't get it!
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Thanks for the advice Guest55 ... and everyone!
Mike

Post by Mike »

Hi T.i.p.s.y

Most children would need some tutoring, due to the artificially high scores required to attain an offer of a grammar school place in some areas, because of the intensive tuition received by many candidates.

It would be unusual for a candidate to attain a place with little or no tuition at all.

With this in mind you may need to consider a strategy around your current circumstances that would facilitate some form of tuition.

Regards

Mike
Mike Edwards is a co-author of The Tutors product range.