Cubes/nets?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
twellsmum

Cubes/nets?

Post by twellsmum »

THis is one area which my DD cannot get the hang of. I have tried to help her but I am even more spatially challenged than she is so I looked on teh NVR part of the forum intending to ask if anyone had any good ideas to help (have read the Bond How to but still can't seem to work it out). On the NVR section someone said they thought that Kent no longer use cubes/nets? Can anyone tell me for definite whether this is so and so let me spend my Sunday doing something far more constructive and less likely to "do my 'ead in"!!

TIA
perplexed

Post by perplexed »

Sorry not sure, hopefully someone else will know the answer. But in the meantime why not just ignore these questions. If it was on the paper, surely it would just be one question, and if your daughter really can't get the hang of them, she could just put down any multiple choice answer and move on to the next question.

But does your daughter find them as hard as you? Try not to accidentally pass on your "blind-spot" for these questions. I remember doing them in some kind of junior school test paper without ever having been "taught" to do them and I don't remember a problem with them although my spatial awareness is not the best. But I could have got the answer wrong!!

I think cubes/nets are probably a very good 11+ question as they don't rely on prior knowledge or teaching.

Alternatively, you could just try cutting out some nets and seeing if they fold up into cubes or not. Even if there is no such question on the paper it could be fun and not waste very much time.
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Last edited by Belinda on Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kentmum1

Post by kentmum1 »

They did have about 12 of these question types in my son's test in '07. He/we/tutor could not get him to get the hang of these question types either. They are extremely difficult. However, the good news is that he made 17 errors in the test (no doubt the cubes!), has an October birthday and still got 140. Son no 2 is sitting the next test, (although seriously borderline, so not too hopeful!) and we are also struggling with these question types. Good luck with your daughter. It's very different for me this time as it's more a case of 'simply having a go' and I am feeling extremely relaxed about it, which is in complete contrast to last time!
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

perplexed

Post by perplexed »

kent mum - did they really put 12 questions of a similar type in one real 11+ maths paper? that sounds very strange.
twellsmum

Cubes/nets

Post by twellsmum »

Hi everyone

Thanks for your suggestions, advice and reassurance! My DD is better at it than me but we often both get the wrong answer (ie, teh same wrong answer!). I think cutting up teh nets and colouring in will help and it is something where she will nto feel she is having to do work (whilst her brothers and sister play!) so that can only be good.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

make them out of card and make dice? Or get siblings making them too and colour them in?

I was looking at the examples on teh link from Guest 55. That is excellent as it explains WHY you have go tthem wrong eg only 5 squares. Perhaps look atthem and see if she can identify any similarities which she could use as a rule?
kentmum1

Post by kentmum1 »

Yes, son is adamant (although he could be wrong!) that they did have a whole section of those question types in the NVR paper. Pretty much the same as the Nfer Nelson test papers that have 12 of each question type. However, I'm sure the content varies each year.