The hardest/most competitive schools for 11+ entry?

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Itzie

The hardest/most competitive schools for 11+ entry?

Post by Itzie »

Just out of complete curiosity, which schools are the hardest to get into? Which ones are the most competitve etc? I'm talking about the whole country rather than just one area.
wardie

Post by wardie »

Hi Itzie

Are you talking about state schools or private?

I'm no expert, but around my way (west kent) Judd for boys and TOGS for girls are the most super selective STATE schools and have no catchment.

Maybe someone else will help you for other parts of the country or the private sector.

Wardie
SunlampVexesEel

Post by SunlampVexesEel »

My answer... "The one you want to get into."

Seriously, I think there are actually now quite a few schools where the number of applications is around 1000 and the number of places are around 100-200.

Only my 2p

Regards
SVE
Animis opibusque parati
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

Move to East Kent!
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I'm with sunlamp on this one - no GS is easy. each area has its own challenges not just qualifying but getting the school you want is never easy.

Out of interest why do you ask?
solimum

Post by solimum »

This article from last November

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/ ... runch.html

may prove interesting

Usually each local authority will have figures for their own schools, probably in the admissions booklet
Mike

Post by Mike »

Hi

To answer this question you need to consider the complexity of the tests or the pass mark for the tests.

The most difficult state grammar schools to attain a place should be those that provide the most difficult tests i.e. Verbal Reasoning, Non-Verbal Reasoning, English and Mathematics were a student needs to perform well across all four subjects.

However, Bucks grammar schools are difficult because the format of their tests is so easy that any decent private tutor should be able to successfully coach children for the tests. This makes the pass mark for Bucks grammar schools unusually high at around 86% or above.

You also need to consider whether the student is taking the tests in-area when there is automatic acceptance on attaining a pass mark, or whether the student is out-of-area when other factors are applied. Some out-of-area students attain higher scores than in-area pupils and are not offered places.

Regards

Mike
Mike Edwards is a co-author of The Tutors product range.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Also in Bucks you need to live near the school you want if it is popular - qualifying is not enough.
patricia

Post by patricia »

Mike wrote:Hi

However, Bucks grammar schools are difficult because the format of their tests is so easy that any decent private tutor should be able to successfully coach children for the tests. This makes the pass mark for Bucks grammar schools unusually high at around 86% or above.

Regards Mike
However....

I regard myself as quite a good/experienced tutor, but I cannot [and will not] flog a dead horse. Just an average child could NOT be coached to pass the test. They can be taught by rote for the codes and maths but they would be unable to cope with the spelling/vocab and certainly would have trouble with timings.

Patricia :wink:
tense

Post by tense »

Well as others have said, it usually depends on so many different things....

"Hardest to get into" suggests the most over-subscribed. In my area (SW Herts) Parmiter's has about 1200 applications for 185 places. BUT - only 45 of these are awarded on academic grounds; the rest are a mixture of siblings / proximity /music etc. So I'm guessing that around 1000 childen are hoping to be one of the 45.

That's pretty tough - but only in line with the other partially selective schools round here. I'm sure it's equally as tough elsewhere.