Essex 11+ 2009

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

dinah

Essex 11+ 2009

Post by dinah »

Hello everyone and thank you for all the advice that appears on here.

Is anyone able explain the 'overall standarised weighting score' ?I believe that is what it is called anyway!

Regards

Dinah
KB

Post by KB »

Depends how much detail you want :)
Broadly -
VR has twice the weighting of the maths and the english.
Further adjustment to allow for how difficult the particular papers are.

The final figure is then used to rank all the entrants.

There is no adjustment in Essex re age of entrant.

It seems complicated but I'm not sure its that important. Its mainly a statistical process.

The main point in terms of preparing your child is that VR is the most important paper - if you do well on that you can afford to do less well on the other two. Whereas dropping marks on VR can 'hit hard'.

Do look at previous threads - will give you realistic idea of the marks needed for different schools. Not as high as some people would lead you to believe but most children do score lower in the 'real thing' than at home.

Hope this is what you needed.
:)
dinah

Post by dinah »

Thank you for that . I have looked at quite a number of the other threads -in fact it took me nearly all afternnoon (clearly I have nothing better to do!) but found that particular stat difficult to follow. I am glad it isn't important.

My daughter is taking the test in November and I wish I had known about this site before as it really is wonderfully helpful.

Regards

Dinah
KB

Post by KB »

Glad you are finding the site helpful & do hope all goes well in November.

Hope I didn't mislead you - the figure is important in the sense of it determining your child's position in the 'order of merit' but understanding how it is calculated doesn't help them perform any better :)
- except to be aware of the relative importance of the VR paper.

Normally you would get much more response to any questions etc - think everyone is on holiday atm!
dinah

Post by dinah »

Ok- I understand -thanks.

The VR is a Black Art that's for sure. I am sick of it already!

Regards

Dinah
dinah

Post by dinah »

Can anyone tell me how much the bus fare from Billericay to Chelmsford is please?
KM

Post by KM »

Have a look on the consortium website (www.csse.org.uk) - there is a transport link on there which will tell you times and prices of buses. If you want local buses rather than school buses look up First Group.
Silver29

Post by Silver29 »

Hi Dinah,

My daughter has just started at CCHS and is travelling from Billericay. The bus fare for this term was £340, this includes an annual service charge so should be cheaper for next two terms.

Please feel free to PM me with any questions and I'll do my best to help.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now